Currently Desktop/Deskside Support, Heading Into Sys Admin, Future InfoSec / CyberSec

illmortalizedillmortalized Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
How's it going guys,

Love the forum board, I've learned quite a lot about certification paths for careers. Never really new there were so many paths to choose from, more than I've ever seen on a job board. And damn never knew there were so many certifications either.

Right now I'm sitting on 12 years of experience as Desktop/Deskside support tech/analyst (whatever other 30 different titles they give this role). Sort of wish I didn't just settle for this layman position (wage cap barely hits $50k) beyond 5 years. I've had a solid 4 almost 5 years experience with LDAP/AD (not full blown access though, just limited. Most access I had was creating (copy/paste) new user profiles and editing them before/during the imaging of a workstation and also adding the workstation.

Not that it's anything important, just relative experience to some extent.

But I'm looking to now focus my way into System Administration, later into Security (Info security, not focusing on anything from outside attacking in but rather securing the intranet and any applications / devices that will work within the infrastructure, then later after years of experience, go into further depth / cyber security).

So here is my situation/concerns/questions:

Right now I'm studying for my MCSA: Windows Server 2012

Once I've earned my certification, I thought I could simply just go straight into MCSE: Server Infrastructure. And boom.. start trying to find a new company that will allow me to have the Sys Admin role to earn plenty of experience on before hopping into Security.

But then doing my research with System Administration and what many businesses require is that the role also sets up images using an image/deployment/managing tool. For imaging and deployments of workstations, they either use McAfee, Symantec, (insert other 3rd party), or they stick to using Microsoft, specifically "System Center Configuration Manager".

Doing my research for a few days now (looking at job boards), it's been mixed results, some companies like to deploy/manage workstations with MS software and others like using 3rd party. Keep in mind, with Configuration Manager, from my bit of researching of the tool, it can also handle Unix/Linux as well as Apple OSX (definitely in 2012).

I can justify getting my MCTS SCCM 2012, if pretty much every business understands that because I'm capable of using Configuration Manager, in theory and really in practice, I should too be able to use any other third party tool to do exactly the same thing. The only real thing that will change is GUI and maybe different terminologies / order of steps within the tool. But it's all relevant.

I figured for my personal knowledge and for the pleasing of the business, to have a greater understanding/grasp of the role, I will more than likely just go after my MCTS SCCM. But the dilemma I'm currently facing is, that I'm being told that in the hierarchy of certifications, knowledge, and total grasping of being a Systems Admin, I will require to earn my Network+ as well as my Security+ prior to earning my MCTS SCCM 2012. Apparently having to gain knowledge in both Network+ as well as Security+, I should be able to fully grasp Configuration Manager and also pass the exam easily.

I can definitely justify my Security+ (afterall it'll be my stepping stone prior to my role in security later on), but Network+ so soon? I don't really care to get into Networking, if I did.. I would fix my focus on Cisco, but not interested, at least not for now, not for System Admin role (I'm pretty sure Network+ is not a requirement, have rarely seen it as a requirement for said role).

This is all prior to earning my MCSE.

So the hierarchy proposed is:

MCSA: Server

Network+

Security+

MCTS SCCM

MCSE: Server Infrastructure

And finally one other certification that is being recommended to me is getting a VMWare/Hyper-V certification.

With VMWare, it has multiple paths and I'm not sure which one to choose if it is recommended by the community. There's two that have caught my attention, and more than likely one of them is the one I'd need, while the other is not. The two are:
  • Data Center Virtualization - (VCA6-DCV)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is more for Network engineers than for System Admins

• Desktop & Mobility - (VCA6-DTM)
This seems more for the System Admins

If you guys do recommend going after Hyper-V/VMWare, where in the hierarchy of my certifications would I place it? I would assume right after Security+?

I'm strictly trying to cover all grounds of System Admin so that I have a much better chance of getting a position in pretty much any part of the U.S., for opportunity sake, and most importantly for knowledge sake.

It appears though, with VMWare, VC(Associate), may just not be good enough, and will require to go after VC(Professional) to get recognized. While with Hyper-V, seems like it's only one certification, no further upgrades after it. And, correct me if I'm wrong it doesn't expire. While VMWare requires re-examination.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just want to make sure I successfully change roles in the near future and not miss anything valuable for my next role (Systems Admin).

Thanks in advance to all those who have taken the time to read and assist me on my certification goals.

If you find useless or more valuable certifications, as a Systems Admin, especially one that could be shared amongst System Admins and Security of any field, please by all means share!

The company I work for seems to be a little loose when it comes to spending on education and certifications just so long as it's IT related.

Thanks again!

Comments

• illmortalizedillmortalized Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also wanted to add, using this as a study guide, someone from work let me borrow it, but they said this isn't the best book:

gNcINWH.png

I'll check the forum board in this section to see if I can find recommendations.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your employer pays go for VCP-DCV by taking the VMware course to meet the pre requisite. It's the most expensive, easier than mcsa and likely the most in demand of what you listed. It also lets you branch out because it ties everything together.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    techfiend wrote: »
    If your employer pays go for VCP-DCV by taking the VMware course to meet the pre requisite. It's the most expensive, easier than mcsa and likely the most in demand of what you listed. It also lets you branch out because it ties everything together.

So go after the VCP-DCV prior to all other certs? Hm.. I would think that's unorthodox.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VCP isn't a very deep dive into any area which makes it a great first mid-level cert. That and the demand is the cert most likely to help you move up. Many go for the VCP first if it's easily obtainable, I really wish I did instead of spending months on MCSA and CCNA which didn't do much for me on the job search. 5 months after CCNA, 3 months after MCSA and 2 weeks after VCP-DCV I had 2 offers.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    techfiend wrote: »
    VCP isn't a very deep dive into any area which makes it a great first mid-level cert. That and the demand is the cert most likely to help you move up. Many go for the VCP first if it's easily obtainable, I really wish I did instead of spending months on MCSA and CCNA which didn't do much for me on the job search. 5 months after CCNA, 3 months after MCSA and 2 weeks after VCP-DCV I had 2 offers.

Ouch!

Alright, I'll have to look into different sources for the "course work"... I don't think my company is willing to pay out more than $5,500 a year for college (that's their cap per year for college, just found out yesterday) much less to obtain 1 certification.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FWIW, SCCM roles are in extremely high demand in my region and very short supply. Consequently, anybody with even some general day-to-day SCCM admin knowledge is getting scooped up and making a very respectable salary.

Otherwise your cert path to Security+ looks good to me. InfoSec is an area of interest for me so I can speak to it just a little bit.
    FWIW, SCCM roles are in extremely high demand in my region and very short supply. Consequently, anybody with even some general day-to-day SCCM admin knowledge is getting scooped up and making a very respectable salary.

Otherwise your cert path to Security+ looks good to me. InfoSec is an area of interest for me so I can speak to it just a little bit.

Awesome. I've noticed SCCM roles out in my area as well standing out, specifically since the start of this year (not so much the previous years). But of course I see at bare minimum MCSA required.
  • DavidoghoDavidogho Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got MCITP, what are the exams codes must i seat for to update my MCITP to MCSE