CISA Work Experience

asid12345678asid12345678 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! I had about the CISA required work experience that I would really appreciate to be answered. I am currently a third-year student and my university is under the ISACA Model Curricula so I get 3 years waived off. I plan to give the exam this September.
Now I would need to get 2 years of work experience within 5 years of passing the exam but that's where my problem sets in. I am also majoring in Information Systems and I plan to get a job in Big 4 as an accountant after graduation and get a CPA. My university is ranked 12th in the world for accounting and accounting graduates from my uni are pretty much guaranteed big 4 jobs and I have a keen interest in accounting along with IT auditing. But I'm afraid I won't be able to fulfil my ISACA job requirements if I get an accounting/CPA job? Help me out guys and please let me know if I'm wrong. I haven't signed up for the CISA Sept. exam yet and I don't want to cancel my CPA plans because of CISA but I would really prefer to have both certifications.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is your first passion? Accounting or IT? Seems that you are pursuing 2 majors at the same time or maybe i misunderstood? Having accounting background does help for being an auditor but usually CPA's dont do IT Auditing.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to contact recruiters from the Big 4 and ask them.

It could be that they can get you a position that has some IT related tasks.

ISACA is flexible with experience requirements, you just have to practice a couple of these tasks:

Job Practice Areas 2016
  • asid12345678asid12345678 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    What is your first passion? Accounting or IT? Seems that you are pursuing 2 majors at the same time or maybe i misunderstood? Having accounting background does help for being an auditor but usually CPA's dont do IT Auditing.

You are correct, I am pursuing 2 majors and I seem to love both of them equally which creates such a dillema at this point. I'm thinking to start off with a CPA career and then at some point become an Auditing officer or something along those lines that will help me use both my IT Auditing and CPA skills and that's why I want both certifications.
    wd40 wrote: »
    Try to contact recruiters from the Big 4 and ask them.

It could be that they can get you a position that has some IT related tasks.

ISACA is flexible with experience requirements, you just have to practice a couple of these tasks:

Job Practice Areas 2016

Thank you for the suggestion, I have emailed all the Big 4's with this query just now and hopefully get a positive response.
    You are right, I am doing 2 majors, Accounting and Information Systems. I honestly equally enjoy both but slightly prefer Accounting because of the prestige and more money involved. But I still realise in a senior position some day in the future, having CPA and CISA will be really useful for me .
    Thanks for the suggestion :) I have sent all big 4's an email and I have sent advsiors in my university an email too. I need to make a call on the CISA soon and I really want to do it now to make my summer productive and to help my career in the future .
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I honestly equally enjoy both but slightly prefer Accounting because of the prestige and more money involved.

Ah.... the innocence of youth... IT can have oodles of money involved, you just need to pick the right path. IT auditing, particularly, security auditing, is HUGE right now and anybody any good at it will be making way more money than standard accounting.