RHCE RHEL7 Impressions

I scored a 290/300 (and I know what I did wrong; of course realized my mistake in the parking lot. Oh well)

Background: I've been working in the IC for the past 8 years and am quite comfortable using RHEL 6. I allotted 4 days to study for the RHEL7 RHCE exam. I took my exams out of order; the RHEL7 RHCE being the final of my 7 exams to achieve RHCA, so I had at least used RHEL7 a few times prior.

Impression: The exam itself is not any more difficult than the RHEL6 version, in my opinion; there are just more tasks. I finished with ~45 minutes remaining. For experienced admins/engineers, I HIGHLY recommend taking the SysAd 3 course. I used the book from the aforementioned course to study/lab (RH254).

Content: No surprises; everything that was listed in the objectives was used in someway on the exam.

I'm happy to answer questions as long as they don't violate the NDA. :)

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Congratulations on passing the exam and obtaining your RHCA! I'm still a ways away from taking my RHCE exam but I've learned a lot in the process about deploying and managing network services on RHEL7.
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    Verities wrote: »
    Congratulations on passing the exam and obtaining your RHCA! I'm still a ways away from taking my RHCE exam but I've learned a lot in the process about deploying and managing network services on RHEL7.
    Thanks! Based on your thread, I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratulations on your pass, well done 290/300!
    varelg wrote: »
    Congratulations on your pass, well done 290/300!
    Thanks!
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to RHCA family and congratulations :)
    brombulec wrote: »
    Welcome to RHCA family and congratulations :)
    Thanks!
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Congrats! I also work in the IC, do you feel the ROI for the RHCA is worth it in our environment? I was originally working toward the RHCE, but getting better at puppet occupies my time these days.

After doing Security+ and a few others my motivation for certifications has dropped completely.
    Xavor wrote: »
    Congrats! I also work in the IC, do you feel the ROI for the RHCA is worth it in our environment? I was originally working toward the RHCE, but getting better at puppet occupies my time these days.

After doing Security+ and a few others my motivation for certifications has dropped completely.
    Thanks! I doubt the RHCA would have an ROI greater than the RHCE in our environment. Are you able to articulate its importance to your current employer? If you're working with Puppet (and it's a requirement for your position), you might like the new Puppet/CM cert (EX405).
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    Thanks! I doubt the RHCA would have an ROI greater than the RHCE in our environment. Are you able to articulate its importance to your current employer? If you're working with Puppet (and it's a requirement for your position), you might like the new Puppet/CM cert (EX405).

Congratulations on the pass. I can see that you have done the EX405 - what did you think of it?

Obviously NDA still applies but would like to know how you felt about it
    asummers wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. I can see that you have done the EX405 - what did you think of it?

Obviously NDA still applies but would like to know how you felt about it
    Thanks! I enjoyed the exam; it was straightforward. It aligned almost exactly with the objectives: https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/ex405-red-hat-certificate-expertise-configuration-management-puppet If you are comfortable with Puppet, the exam is not very difficult.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gncsmith wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!!
    Thanks!
    Thanks! I enjoyed the exam; it was straightforward. It aligned almost exactly with the objectives: https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/ex405-red-hat-certificate-expertise-configuration-management-puppet If you are comfortable with Puppet, the exam is not very difficult.

I am taking the exam next month. For a new exam it's always hard to gauge how it will be laid out but looking forward to it.
    I am taking the exam next month. For a new exam it's always hard to gauge how it will be laid out but looking forward to it.
    Good luck! Be sure that you're comfortable configuring Puppet repositories in Sat 6.
    Good luck! Be sure that you're comfortable configuring Puppet repositories in Sat 6.

Thanks. Seems a little convoluted, the way puppet integrates with Sat Server. Long winded and clunky.
    Thanks. Seems a little convoluted, the way puppet integrates with Sat Server. Long winded and clunky.
    haha I agree.