I have about 10 weeks to either aim for LX0-103 or both(104) what do you recommend?

License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Given the fairly short time span. And older but good versing in Dos shell. What strategies would you recommend to aid in at least taking and passing 103 and if at all possible both(104 also)?

I am currently enrolled in Test out Linux Pro and making progress. I have installed at home in the past older Ubuntus and Mandriva...and recently Ubuntu Mate but I found them fairly seamless to install. outside a forcepae recently at the boot option from usb thumb.

I can take 104 later if must be...what Id like to not do is fail. I saw a recent pass post and well just wanted to know if this is a good approach for me as well? or do would it be better to focus on 103? and if so what strategy for that?

This was the post for 103+104 combined:
"Linux Academy courses for each exam (their lab services and study guides were the best)
ITPro.TV (the two free Transcender exams per calendar month were extremely helpful)
LPIC-1 official cert guide (ISBN-10:078975455X) - very easy read with good practice questions

I've also used a few PluralSight vids from the 6 month trial I signed up for in December. The CBT Nuggets course was not bad but I felt like I got more out of the Linux Academy and ITProTV." [/QOUTE]

Im looking into enrolling linuxAcad as well as ITPro.IT

Unless of course it is just crazy and 10 weeks is surely not enough. Thank you ahead of time and please help with your suggestions.

Comments

• si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in the process of studying the Linux+ material and I can't imagine 10 weeks being enough unless you're spending a few hours on it every day without fail (and understanding it). Most people who pass it very quickly have just used methods of cheating in order to pass. If you want to do it 100% legit like me and you want to gain some good junior linux admin knowledge, then I think 10 weeks would be very tough. I think it would be possible to do the LX103 exam in 10 weeks, but doing both seems almost impossible.

But as I mentioned in my first sentence - i'm studying this - i've not attempted the exam yet. Perhaps others who have done the exam may say different.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have some linux desktop experience it shouldn't be too difficult if you can put in 60+ hours of study. It focuses mainly on desktop dealing with drivers, X, printers, etc. I had trouble differentiating between 103 and 104 exams. I took them about a week apart and achieved a good, not great, score after 2 years of linux server (not desktop) experience. The RHCSA focuses much more on linux server environments and is a much more rewarding learning experience.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How is the test broken up?

Like how much simulation? How much multiple answer questions? and how much of (the worst of all)...fill in the blanks?

I really detest fill in the blanks because it is very unforgiving to real world situations where you would simply realize a missing forward slash and retype it...but you'd be dead right with the command your issuing and 100% marked all wrong in their stupid crafted test...you'd think they'd have smart test to realize hey the guy was close enough in the command line. But you see the focus isnt on this so they dont care to make the test "smart".

These and other fabricated scenarios is where these tests are a fail and simply "****" YOU even the savvy testers out of their money and devalue a well trained sufficiently skilled person.

Does anyone else agree that it focuses on desktop environment? via GUI or strictly command line? Another point of confusion here.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It was mostly multiple choice. The few sims I remember being fairly easy. There was a few fill in the blanks which was the most difficult but I think you can miss them all and still pass comfortably.

It's more cli than gui. It won't have LAMP, gcc, ftpd and a little devil called selinux which is practical linux server admin. It will have network, file/dir, user, disk mgmt, text editing, grep, cat, installing, updating and maybe firewall which is good server knowledge. It has xorg, printing, drivers which are rare on servers but common on desktops.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think it can be done. I plan on using Testout for 8 weeks to pass Linux+. I use Ubuntu at home and have dealt with cli for drivers, network etc.

How is Testout for this exam treating you? Just make it a full time engagement and you should be good if you have barely used linux.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it can be done. I plan on using Testout for 8 weeks to pass Linux+. I use Ubuntu at home and have dealt with cli for drivers, network etc.

How is Testout for this exam treating you? Just make it a full time engagement and you should be good if you have barely used linux.

It's not bad I havent finished it though. It's definitely a good introduction. I just scanned ahead and im on the Linux Pro track...it does include preparation for both 103 and 104 via quizes on each subject pertaining to both test. It also has it's own certification tests. So when you enroll if you passed you would have theirs and then are supposed to be ready for the CompTia pair as well. How true that is remains to be seen but I dont think its bad so far.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's not bad I havent finished it though. It's definitely a good introduction. I just scanned ahead and im on the Linux Pro track...it does include preparation for both 103 and 104 via quizes on each subject pertaining to both test. It also has it's own certification tests. So when you enroll if you passed you would have theirs and then are supposed to be ready for the CompTia pair as well. How true that is remains to be seen but I dont think its bad so far.
    That's good to hear. I will be enrolling in a class next year that uses TestOut.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So did you finish certification?