CISSP passed

jay2016jay2016 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
Passed this exam a few weeks ago, just wanted to provide feedback on steps taken:

1. Watched Kelly Handerhan videos on Cybrary.it. Skipped the network section since already have expertise in this field. This took around 10 hours or so, taking notes. This gave me good fundamentals and allowed me to speed read the next book to pick up key factoids.

2. Eric Conrads CISSP Study Guide, used a PDF I found of this, skim read through it in around 5-6 hours, doing questions and reading sections where I got answers wrong, plus taking notes. This filled in a lot of gaps and I memorised many little facts from this book.

3. Shon Harris CISSP questions book, very old version, after doing first 20 questions and finding much of it wasn't related to above video and book, stopped and discarded this.

4. CCCure practice questions, spent around 5-6 hours doing about 300 questions or so. Only signed up to this on the last day before exam, based on posts in this forum. This was invaluable and would have definitely failed without it.

Initial plan was to study for 2 weeks, however due to exam availability it was either do it next week or in 2 months time, so I booked it for following week. I had time off work so could study full time, around 25 hours total over 5 days. If had to work would have taken me a few months instead.

Doing the exam I was not confident, however most questions could be narrowed down using logic and little bit of knowledge. I went through as fast as possible as did not bring food or water, because my friend told me to not second guess, just use your instincts. Took around 2.5 hours, was happy with about 80% of questions, good guesses on another 10-15% and rest were wild guesses.
Think I was lucky to pass, and hopefully you too will get fortunate questions and pass.
Thanks you all!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • webpriestesswebpriestess Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Just curious - how much professional experience do have under your belt? You did mention the networking...could you share more?

Thanks!
    ::Claudia
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • simondeyssimondeys Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Congrats ,

It seems ISC2 had a luck draw on that day during your exam , irrespective of the answer you choose whether right or wrong , you will pass , as you mentioned most of it was a wild guess ,

Studying for 25 hours only and passing the exam is an heart attack for people who studied for 1 year and still dint make it.
  • jay2016jay2016 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone.
    My background is more than decade of telecommunications and networking, some security.
    A lot of questions all four answers were wrong, and have to pick the least incorrect. This makes it painful to analyze and why I went with gut instincts.
    Yes, I took a big gamble and very lucky to pass with such little study.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    jay2016 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    My background is more than decade of telecommunications and networking, some security.
    A lot of questions all four answers were wrong, and have to pick the least incorrect. This makes it painful to analyze and why I went with gut instincts.
    Yes, I took a big gamble and very lucky to pass with such little study.

I think the biggest point that people are missing is how much of the exam is all about the CONCEPTS and the EXPERIENCE you already have and your REASONING. I studied for 30 days and even that I felt I over studied although realistically I think I could have done it in 3 weeks time had I read the right material in the right order.

Regardless, it doesn't matter a pass is a pass. I really admire your determination and risk appetite. I'm big on the philosophy that you can do amazing things if you believe in yourself 100%.