Security + is now done!

Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed today with a 835 scoreicon_cheers.gif I am so glad to be done with this exam just because of the magnitude and scope of it. I have to give props to Professer Messer's videos and Darril Gibson's Get Certified GET Ahead Security+ Study Guide. Those were the only two sources I used. I used the same method I used when I took the Network+ exam last year. I tagged all the performance questions and went to the multimple choice first and then dealt with the PBQ on the back end. The Performance based questions weren't as hard as I thought they would be. I was kind of laughing, because I built them in my mind before taking the exam as going to be a pain, but they were pretty straight forward. My advice is as many have said also, read the exam questions carefully
Comptia can be long in the tooth when they pose a question. Just make sure you understand what they are asking. If you know the material, you should be fine. Now on to Server+icon_cool.gif
CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP

Comments

• jearl88jearl88 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!, I took mine two days ago and also passed, the questions were wordy and was unsure at the end if I passed or not. What do you plan on using to study server+?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jearl88 wrote: »
    Congrats!, I took mine two days ago and also passed, the questions were wordy and was unsure at the end if I passed or not. What do you plan on using to study server+?

I'm thinking about getting the the CompTia Server+ SKO-004 Study guide by Troy McMillian. His book is still on preorder and will be released in a few weeks. I checked out the contents of the book on Amazon. It looks good, but I've seen a score of Server+ books that people gave reviews as bad.
    Thanks everybody!icon_cool.gif
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Congrats on the pass. I didn't feel very confident when I was taking my exam. I distinctly remember one of the performance based questions being a pure W.T.F. I was really glad when it was over.

Now, forget Server+ and jump into OSCP. I wish someone had told me about this cert months ago. I only found out about it a few days ago and it feels like discovering Atlantis. If you're into security, I don't think there's a better cert to get into.
  • nocrassnocrass Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What did you use to get trained for performance based questions?
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    nocrass wrote: »
    Congratulations! What did you use to get trained for performance based questions?
    I used nothing but the materials I used overall. I was thinking about doing some labs in preperation of the PBQ's. I'm glad I didin't . It wouldn't have been worth it.
  • danz8515danz8515 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed today with a 786! was getting 95% on practice tests, used measureup practice exam and ensure pass, and Darril Gibson sys401 exam book, one of the most difficult worded tests i have ever taken. Make sure to test and know every topic, subtopic, ports, encryption method and computer attack. Glad i dont have to take this again! I needed it for work.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on having the trio.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goteki54 wrote: »
    I used nothing but the materials I used overall. I was thinking about doing some labs in preperation of the PBQ's. I'm glad I didin't . It wouldn't have been worth it.

When I did the measure up for the A+ I thought the A+ plus TEST was totally different. I am shooting for the sec within the next month and have measureup, what do you think ?
    tmtex wrote: »
    When I did the measure up for the A+ I thought the A+ plus TEST was totally different. I am shooting for the sec within the next month and have measureup, what do you think ?

I have yet to come across any practice test that even come close to how CompTia word's it's questions. For starters, Comptia basically asks some of their questions from situation scenario which means you have to really focus on the all the details of the question. I would say don't rely so much on the practice questions as a measuring stick to how the Sec+ exam will be. The same as you experienced with your A+ exam expect the same with the Sec+ exam
  • c0san1jc0san1j Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrat! good job :)
  • jearl88jearl88 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking about getting the the CompTia Server+ SKO-004 Study guide by Troy McMillian. His book is still on preorder and will be released in a few weeks. I checked out the contents of the book on Amazon. It looks good, but I've seen a score of Server+ books that people gave reviews as bad.

Wonder if the Testout course will help prepare for this certification. I used Testout for my Net+ and Sec+. I'll have to compare objectives.
  • FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□

Seconded. The PBQs are just another way of presenting the material. Know your subject areas and you'll be fine.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral: