Options

Passing Score in CISM

maktoummaktoum Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
Is there any one know how much I have to get to pass in CISM?

ISACA uses a 200-800 point scale with 450 as the passing mark for the exams. Can you please give me an example how they count it ???

Comments

• Options
    matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's the ISACA answer:

"ISACA uses a 200-800 point scale with 450 as the passing mark for the exams. A scaled score is a conversion of the raw score on an exam to a common scale. It is important to note that the exam score is not based on an arithmetic or percent average. For example, the scaled score of 800 represents a perfect score with all questions answered correctly; a scaled score of 200 is the lowest score possible and signifies that only a small number of questions were answered correctly.A candidate must receive a scaled score of 450 or higher to pass the exam. A score of 450 represents a minimum consistent standard of knowledge as established for the exam by the respective ISACA Certification Committee. The passing score of 450 represents the minimum number of questions that must be answered correctly by the candidate in order to demonstrate practical application of the job task and knowledge statements. A candidate receiving a passing score may then apply for certification if all other requirements are met."

CISM Frequently Asked Questions

I just took my CISM exam yesterday. I went in feeling very well prepared, and left feeling doubtful. Now the long 5 week wait for test results...
  • Options
    matt18e wrote: »
    Here's the ISACA answer:

"ISACA uses a 200-800 point scale with 450 as the passing mark for the exams. A scaled score is a conversion of the raw score on an exam to a common scale. It is important to note that the exam score is not based on an arithmetic or percent average. For example, the scaled score of 800 represents a perfect score with all questions answered correctly; a scaled score of 200 is the lowest score possible and signifies that only a small number of questions were answered correctly.A candidate must receive a scaled score of 450 or higher to pass the exam. A score of 450 represents a minimum consistent standard of knowledge as established for the exam by the respective ISACA Certification Committee. The passing score of 450 represents the minimum number of questions that must be answered correctly by the candidate in order to demonstrate practical application of the job task and knowledge statements. A candidate receiving a passing score may then apply for certification if all other requirements are met."

CISM Frequently Asked Questions

I just took my CISM exam yesterday. I went in feeling very well prepared, and left feeling doubtful. Now the long 5 week wait for test results...

Thanks for reply, I checked this example in isaca website already but still I didn't get how much in percentage (%) I have to get to pass, is it 60% or 70% or .......!!!!

About exam, I did it yesterday, its really difficult, I study more than 1500 Q and no single question come form that ****, strange !!!! also the time is going very fast.
  • Options
    Thanks for reply, I checked this example in isaca website already but still I didn't get how much in percentage (%) I have to get to pass, is it 60% or 70% or .......!!!!

About exam, I did it yesterday, its really difficult, I study more than 1500 Q and no single question come form that ****, strange !!!! also the time is going very fast.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Using a **** to pass a test is generally a bad idea since you dont typically learn the material too well.

Otherwise I think, but could be wrong, that ISACA uses a bell curve for the exam, so if everybody does poorly then you all get Bs.
  • Options
    matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Using a **** to pass a test is generally a bad idea since you dont typically learn the material too well.

Otherwise I think, but could be wrong, that ISACA uses a bell curve for the exam, so if everybody does poorly then you all get Bs.

Yes, the test is graded on a curve, so there is no fixed percentage or number of questions to pass. I think that is why it takes so long to get the results back, because ISACA does some statistical analysis to figure out the base passing score, as well as to throw out some questions...
  • Options
    blossom781blossom781 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is my post to such forums. This might be the process ISACA is following... it's not explained anywhere. It might not be 100% correct.
    We have total 200 questions out of which 20 to 25 are research questions which don't carry any marks. With the remaining questions, ISACA reviews the answers provided by ALL the candidates. They already have there RAW answer key. Based on the answers provided by candidates; especially for the questions where we have maximum incorrect answers, ISACA will decide on updating the answer keyor decide to give credit to everybody for that question. Now coming to scoring scale of 200 to 800. The person who has given lowest number of correct answers will get 200 marks (of course they will get rid of outliers). So assume that person with 70 correct answers is the lowest one and will get 200 marks. Considering the number of research questions, the person with all corrects (maybe 175 or 180) will get 800 marks. ISACA will arrange the scores from 70 to 175 (or 180) on the scale of 200 to 800. If score of 450 is at 114 correct answers then that's the number of answers you need to give out of 175 (or 180) to pass the exam. By the way, you won't get this explanation anywhere. This is what I got to know from various different sources + my own logic.
  • Options
    where is the word "FIRST"? icon_smile.gif
    This is my FIRST post to such forums.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    maktoum wrote: »
    I study more than 1500 Q and no single question come form that ****, strange !!!! also the time is going very fast.

Did you really expect to see "dumped" questions? if so, you are pursuing the wrong type of certifications. stick to microsoft & cisco if you want ****. There are no valid leaks for ISC2 and ISACA tests.
  • Options
    DolphDolph Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been reliably told that 450 = 75% (450 being 75% of 800 - 200). So if you score more than 450 you've got at least 75%. The actual score you receive is related to your place in the total number of test takers. Not all questions are included in the score however if they're deemed to be biased to non English speakers or genuinely 50/50 for instance.
  • Options
    Hi Dolph, that's not the case... passing percentage varies from 1 CISM exam to another. Please read the article https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/we..._equal_2d00_70.
    This link is already posted by cyberguypr.
  • Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    I guess it doesn't matter, does it? Why is necessary to establish where the bottom rung is, know the subject matter and work hard at establishing the crux of the domains and, when the questions reveal themselves on test day, you'll be able to reason your way to a response that you feel comfortable with.Establishing the percentage isn't really worth spending time on - the test DB of questions gives you a tally, so aim for 90-95% and you'll comfortably clear the bar - at whatever level it is set.
  • Options
    Futuristic AuditorFuturistic Auditor Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been following the forum for years now and finally joined today. CONGRATS TO MY FELLOW CISAs!!! Just the optimism we need now.

So, I took the CISA exam on saturday for the first time, and nothing could have prepared me for this exam. Upon starting the exam, I had to switch my strategy immediately. I did a run-through of the 150 questions and answered about half that I knew the answers to. And then did a second run-through on the other questions that seemed tricky. I finished on time but left the exam with so much uncertainty and anxiety.

So basically, I prepared as follow:
    1. 101 hours of the QAE DB question. Ran through that 4 times. Averaged score was I think 80% and average trending was 100%.

2. Briefly read the manual and used mainly to reference concepts such as digital certificate.

After answering all the exam questions, I went back and counted about 5 questions from the DB that were weirdly or pool worded. I was hoping that more DB questions would appear. I have five years of compliance/ IT audit experience and currently cybersecurity consulting. I am just praying eveyone did so poorly that when ISACA adjust the raw score, it would push many test takers over the 450 mark. :):):)
  • Options
    Futuristic AuditorFuturistic Auditor Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oo sorry, posted in the wrong thread.