Best way to transfer files from machine to machine

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, I was wondering what is the best option or way to go about transfering files from one machines to another when both machines aren't apart of a domain. So one computer could be a DC and the other is just a workgroup random machine or 2 random workgroup machines?
What options do I have that are the best way to go about it? (Obviously excluding external devices)

Thanks

Comments

• MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Using 3rd party software that allow you to ftp. For example I use team viewer some times if I am stuck in a pickle but there are other and better options.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you have IP address connectivity, you can connect to the administrative share from the workgroup systems. For example, \\192.168.1.1\c$

You will be asked for a username/password in order to get access. As long as the account has administrative rights, you will have access to any drive/folder on the target system.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would I need to open up any ports on the 2 machines that aren't already open??
    Once I'm in can I just use certain commands to transfer or copy files from one to the other?

Thanks
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If the machines are not part of the domain you would need to use FTP, FTP operates on well known ports, do some searches on how FTP works.
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right, any links you could provide that will allow me what I want to do??

Thanks again
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    If the machines are not part of the domain you would need to use FTP, FTP operates on well known ports, do some searches on how FTP works.

Non domain computers can connect to remote file shares just fine. Create a file share on one computer, connect to it with the other, use Windows Explorer to copy.

You don't need 3rd party software to replicate functionality that was available in the MS-DOS days.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Non domain computers can connect to remote file shares just fine. Create a file share on one computer, connect to it with the other, use Windows Explorer to copy.

You don't need 3rd party software to replicate functionality that was available in the MS-DOS days.

^^^^^ +1 Rep for this....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »

And to add onto this, if it's a common file transfer that happens on a set schedule or on demand one could write a powershell command to quickly and easily do that.