Options

Boost my Resume? Security+ and PMP question

billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Folks

I have a plan to obtain my Network+ and Security+ by end of this year. I will be retiring from federal government service with a pension, health benefits, etc in year 2020, at the age of 50.

With that said, I am considering picking up the PMP certification also prior to retirement.

Goal: Entry-Level job in Cyber Security and/or Computer Forensics. "10 year goal" = get into management or open my own consulting company, assuming my experience level grows and flourishes.

Questions:

1. What kind of "attraction factor" will the Sec+ and PMP combo give me ? I will not have an CISSP, etc. Not enough experience (yet)

2. Is it possible to perform consulting/contract type jobs, aka Company ABC hires me to perform work on XXX Security or PMP required project, then after project is done, I am free to go find another gig or contract ? This is appealing to me, as I will already have a pension and health insurance.

3. To fill the experience gap between now, 2016, and 2020 (four years), I plan to do some volunteer IT work at my church (help them with their network, etc), pro-bono stuff, and maybe give some educational "online safety" presentations for free at my son's school, and local civic groups.

I just want to set my resume up (and me, overall) for the best chance at getting job offers. Like all of us, the 6-figure level is desired but at the entry-level stage, beggars can't be choosers either. Note: When I retire, my resume ideally will be:

Projected Resume

Top Secret clearance
25 years in military and federal government assignments managing programs, resources, and people, to include programs dealing with national security and intelligence community (IC) nexus. Minimal hands-on Cyber Security. Yes on "investigations" since I have worn the Safety Officer hat, EEO Officer, etc etc. I have also testified in federal court for a few things over the 25 years. Extensive experience (I can articulate this all day long, easy...) on large scale projects (million dollars+), multi-country international programs, and other stuff. Hence my desire to get the PMP.

4-year BA degree and partial MBA completion (ran out of money and time....) with all MBA credits "A" scores

(If my gameplan goes as desired
>)
Network+
Security+
PMP
No CISSP
3 years experience general PC repair/troubleshooting and basic computer security in pro-bono, volunteer capacity, at local churches, civic organizations, etc. Cybersecurity "awareness" educational seminars giving to Boy Scouts, elementary school, etc type groups.
Possible write a few articles regarding the above and have them published in the local newspaper or town newsletters, etc.
Membership and active participation in local ISC2 and ISSA chapters.

Will the above "get me looked at" and more importantly, hired ? Salary/Income ?

Thank You ! :)

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hopefully someone else can chime in on the value of the top secret clearance, but that seems to be your biggest asset right now. Clearly you have management/PM type experience, which is valuable, but is it valuable as an entry level security analyst? That I don't really know. You realize you'll have to start at the bottom, but with that I'd try to narrow down exactly what you want to do in security so you can start developing a plan to get to that specific point. Just saying "security" doesn't really help unless you want to be a true generalist and I feel for that you'd need a broader background in systems and networking to grasp that role very well.

Working/worked on an MBA, lots of project management experience and a PMP would make you a shoe in for PM/management roles, but that doesn't show much in the way of technical experience for the type of role you're talking about.

You did mention forensics, that'll be harder to get into as your first job, not that I've tried but just going by the posts here, but things like a PMP, or even the CISSP, etc, aren't going to help with that. You'll want to target forensics training specifically.

As for getting looked at and hired, networking with peers is a great route, if you're involved in the local groups like you mentioned that would be a great in for an employee referral. For salary, no one can really tell you that, it's highly dependent on location, experience, the company you work for, negotiation skills, etc.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone else can chime in on the value of the top secret clearance, but that seems to be your biggest asset right now. Clearly you have management/PM type experience, which is valuable, but is it valuable as an entry level security analyst? That I don't really know. You realize you'll have to start at the bottom, but with that I'd try to narrow down exactly what you want to do in security so you can start developing a plan to get to that specific point. Just saying "security" doesn't really help unless you want to be a true generalist and I feel for that you'd need a broader background in systems and networking to grasp that role very well.

Working/worked on an MBA, lots of project management experience and a PMP would make you a shoe in for PM/management roles, but that doesn't show much in the way of technical experience for the type of role you're talking about.

You did mention forensics, that'll be harder to get into as your first job, not that I've tried but just going by the posts here, but things like a PMP, or even the CISSP, etc, aren't going to help with that. You'll want to target forensics training specifically.

As for getting looked at and hired, networking with peers is a great route, if you're involved in the local groups like you mentioned that would be a great in for an employee referral. For salary, no one can really tell you that, it's highly dependent on location, experience, the company you work for, negotiation skills, etc.

His biggest asset is his 25 years of work experience and leading.....having said that. Your PMP will the best thing you can add on to your resume. I know you said no CISSP, but the PMP with your CISSP and that experience and you will be golden.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    joemc3 wrote: »
    His biggest asset is his 25 years of work experience and leading.....having said that. Your PMP will the best thing you can add on to your resume. I know you said no CISSP, but the PMP with your CISSP and that experience and you will be golden.

My point was that it's his best asset if going for an entry level security position. If he gets a job in a SOC as an analyst they aren't going to value 25 years of project management as much as they are being able for him to work on stuff that requires a TSC. That's also why I said he'd be a great fit for PM and management roles.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    My point was that it's his best asset if going for an entry level security position. If he gets a job in a SOC as an analyst they aren't going to value 25 years of project management as much as they are being able for him to work on stuff that requires a TSC. That's also why I said he'd be a great fit for PM and management roles.

That we agree with, he should never be applying for an entry level job. Get the PMP and the CISSP and then leverage your working credentials.
  • Options
    joemc3 wrote: »
    That we agree with, he should never be applying for an entry level job. Get the PMP and the CISSP and then leverage your working credentials.

Roger that, understand do not apply for entry-level jobs. What jobs should I be targeting. Note that I don't see how I can possibly obtain the CISSP without the 5 years Cyber security experience. I will have the Security+
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say boost your computer knowledge with XXX and get you CISSP associate.

Depending on what type of security you want to get into I would fill in the XXX with say CCNA or CEH or forensics certs.

in my opinion certs are just to pass screens. Get the big ones and call it quits.

Also I would scrub TS and mention of agencies you worked for just as good practice. You never know who is on this site.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I say boost your computer knowledge with XXX and get you CISSP associate.

Depending on what type of security you want to get into I would fill in the XXX with say CCNA or CEH or forensics certs.

in my opinion certs are just to pass screens. Get the big ones and call it quits.

Also I would scrub TS and mention of agencies you worked for just as good practice. You never know who is on this site.

good points
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    billDFW wrote: »
    Roger that, understand do not apply for entry-level jobs. What jobs should I be targeting. Note that I don't see how I can possibly obtain the CISSP without the 5 years Cyber security experience. I will have the Security+

You won't need 5 years experience to get a CISSP, you'll only need 4. One of your BS or the Sec+ will cover the 5th year requirement. Also, while you won't receive endorsement as a full CISSP, you can still take the test and certify as an Associate of ISC2 Toward CISSP. From there, you'd have 6 years to get the required experience for full endorsement.

Anyway, if I'm being completely honest, I'd say that the best way to leverage your experience and start from a higher position on the totem pole would be to get the PMP and any security certifications you can and look in to being a PM for cyber related projects. Once you have your foot in the door at an organization, you can look to gain further certifications like CISA, CISM, or CRISC and look to move in to a management role over a policy, audit, or risk assessment team. Another cert that might be useful would be ITIL, though it is dreadfully boring (unless you like process management).
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Complete the MBA.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Apply to a manager position. ITILF; Sec+; PMP; eventually CISSP.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Following up on what others have said, I would recommend finishing up your MBA, pursuing the Associate of CISSP designation and with the Sec+, and clearance you likely could land an IT Security job with the DoD depending on your location, albeit may be low level initially. This would allow you to get into the area of work your desiring.

I have the PMP and CISSP and it is an interesting combination to have. In the team I work on, none of the other CISSP holders have their PMP so I frequently get to lead and be involved in projects in addition to work in an IA capacity which I enjoy. It helps me gain a diverse amount of experience.

I think your volunteer ideas are great as well since it will all be experience in the end.
  • Options
    Wow, great info folks !

to be honest, I ran out of time (two young kids in soccer and other activities) and money ("cash only" program) for the MBA. I am 50% completed.

Not sure if I would rather knock out the PMP instead and focus on Security certificates, and/or continue the MBA. MBA is rather time intensive, requiring I work on it during weekends (I work full time). However I only get my kids "once" (their childhood years), and I am inclined to spend my free weekends with my kids, as much as I can.

The PMP seems to be easier (time-wise) to achieve, than finish my MBA, and as dmoore44 suggested, obtain some security certifications.

Just my 2 cents on the MBA thing....
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    You won't need 5 years experience to get a CISSP, you'll only need 4. One of your BS or the Sec+ will cover the 5th year requirement. Also, while you won't receive endorsement as a full CISSP, you can still take the test and certify as an Associate of ISC2 Toward CISSP. From there, you'd have 6 years to get the required experience for full endorsement.

Anyway, if I'm being completely honest, I'd say that the best way to leverage your experience and start from a higher position on the totem pole would be to get the PMP and any security certifications you can and look in to being a PM for cyber related projects. Once you have your foot in the door at an organization, you can look to gain further certifications like CISA, CISM, or CRISC and look to move in to a management role over a policy, audit, or risk assessment team. Another cert that might be useful would be ITIL, though it is dreadfully boring (unless you like process management).

Great info, thank you sir