Red Hat launches New Learning subscription

ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
This may be of interest to some of you.

Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced Red Hat Learning Subscription - Standard, a new learning subscription tier featuring unlimited access to Red Hat’s full portfolio of online training content and certification exams. Delivered through a combination of online courses, videos, hands-on labs, and expert seminars, the Red Hat Learning Subscription - Standard is designed to help customers accelerate the speed and ease of on-boarding new staff and the adoption of new releases, and access a full learning path leading to certification. The new features of the Standard tier of the learning subscription include expert seminars, instructor office hours, and access to certification exams.

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-launches-new-learning-subscription?sc_cid=701600000011gf0AAA

Comments

• ispep13ispep13 Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that I would need more than a year for training. The price is high.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    A few of us have discussed this in the RHCE forums here (RHCA Timeline thread) and have concluded its not worth the cost unless you can convince your employer to pay for it.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, the new subscription is even more expensive at $7000 (nearly CAD $9000) - I pay less for a year at WGU... Honestly, I guess they completely lost their mind and live in parallel universe there at RedHat.
    It is in their best interest to train as many qualified professionals as possible to push their technologies, that's why Cisco is starting a $10M scholarship program icon_rolleyes.gif
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    gkca wrote: »
    So, the new subscription is even more expensive at $7000 (nearly CAD $9000) - I pay less for a year at WGU... Honestly, I guess they completely lost their mind and live in parallel universe there at RedHat.
    It is in their best interest to train as many qualified professionals as possible to push their technologies, that's why Cisco is starting a $10M scholarship program icon_rolleyes.gif

Agreed...I was expecting to see prices getting lowered.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    We can't justify the price for it. I've told that to their sales rep.

I've pointed them to Linux Academy, which is what I use for training. Granted, I won't be able to do all of the Red Hat products, however it is affordable.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Like most vendor training it's really not pointed at individuals. $7k a year for an enterprise isn't really all that much in the grand scheme of things.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Like most vendor training it's really not pointed at individuals. $7k a year for an enterprise isn't really all that much in the grand scheme of things.
    Actually these offerings appear to be pointed at individuals, at least their marketing dept contacted me with their initial $5K subscription. The enterprise customers usually pay for classroom or on-site training.
    Anyways, I believe something is very broken at Redhat sales and marketing, just as an example I've contacted them requesting the quote for RHEV when our vSphere support subscription was running out and we considered the alternatives, but never heard back.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Usually when they're taking training credits it's more pointed towards the enterprise, but I'm sure they'd love to take anyone that will pay them!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Last time I checked it was $5.5k... now it's $7k?! Adjusted for inflation... I guess.
    While it was $5k+, Red Hat insisted this was individual pricing and they'll come up with group pricing which presumably could be aimed at enterprise. I already decided to not bother though, currently I don't handle Linux at work as much as I would like to, so my guess is Da Boss would rule out buying into this deal from Red Hat. So maybe this $7k is group pricing?
    Just checked their website, the Basic is still $5500 while the new Standard is $7k. The difference being that with Basic you don't get Expert Seminars and live instructor.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No way in hell. Too many good options out there for a small fraction of the cost. If I'm paying that amount of money, there will be a live person at my site giving me personal attention.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    I don't think it's targeted at people writing their RH System Admin, maybe more at the Architect level. At that level it maybe makes sense if you're writing those senior exams you can probably afford this. And 7K for a company for a year of studying = cheap. They'll send staff to a week long course with 5 grand.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Compare to a week of SANS training without the travel and this looks pretty cheap considering they are throwing in exams as well. Understand sticker shock to many but many and how much would Red Hat exams cost over this same year?

Really, not bad for training these days.

As an independent. I generally spend around 10k a year on training and education and I get evey penny of it back in return.

- b/eads
  • RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linux Foundation certificates are looking better and better.

If I was doing the RHCSA I would goto a place like the Linux Academy.

Maybe some of you high rollers can justify 7K pricetags, but in my world that is ludicrous.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    ^What I was going to post, almost verbatim.

As for individuals, really depends on your annual training budget. Are you able to articulate the need/benefit to your current employer?
    ^What I was going to post, almost verbatim.

As for individuals, really depends on your annual training budget. Are you able to articulate the need/benefit to your current employer?
    Well, the problem is that you have to be already quite good to get a job that cares about your professional growth, but to get that job you need to learn this and that, say RHEV, Sattelite 6 and Ansible and performance tuning and clustering and selinux policy administration and so on.
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    Well, the problem is that you have to be already quite good to get a job that cares about your professional growth, but to get that job you need to learn this and that, say RHEV, Sattelite 6 and Ansible and performance tuning and clustering and selinux policy administration and so on.
    In such a situation, I agree. Most government contracting companies that I've been an employee of have an education budget of at least $5k (per year/person) though. Also, Red Hat is two words, not one :p
    If one is looking at Linux Foundation as an alternative, consider their certs are valid for only two years. Their training consists of reading a series of web-only slides.
    Linux Academy, maybe for RHCSA. Last time I checked, their RHCE course was "under construction" and things there don't move along as quick as you may think.
    varelg wrote: »
    If one is looking at Linux Foundation as an alternative, consider their certs are valid for only two years. Their training consists of reading a series of web-only slides.
    Linux Academy, maybe for RHCSA. Last time I checked, their RHCE course was "under construction" and things there don't move along as quick as you may think.

Linux Academy finished their RHCE course about 2 months ago. I completed it and was very satisfied with the content, although the instructor seemed very annoyed the entire series. Right now they have a special where the first month is only $9.