Can you do CEH in one month?

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I will attempt to study and pass CEH in one months time. I have a good background in security so I think I can do it. My voucher expires in the next Few months and I start WGU August 1st and will be chugging full steam ahead so I wont have any other time before the voucher expires to really study for it. So one month it is if you have any recomendations please feel free to drop them down below

Im happy to be back in the security forum I did this last month for linux plus and nobody responds back.
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Memorize a bunch of things then go take the test. No thinking required, just regurgitation.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Take the assessment on the website to see where you currently stand. If you score at least close to the passing score, I do not see why you couldn't pass in a month. If you score very low, I would take longer to study or consider enrolling in an CEH online hacker bootcamp to get you up to speed.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is the exam that people used to show up for on Monday and take the test on Friday. Versions 1 thru 4 were incredibly difficult compared to today's exams as well. Yes, a month should be overkill if you memorize the NMAP flags and no the difference between burp suite and Metasploit.

CEH is also the culprit behind nearly everyone else saying something to the effect: Exams not giving at the end of the week.

- b/eads
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It took me 3 months but anything is possible.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is possible, it's a straight forward exam, but do you just want to barely pass with a 70% or feel prepared and pass with a much higher percentage? I trained for about 3 months after passing the CASP, which helped, I wanted to feel like I could knock it out of the park.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    40-80 hours if you have at least basic understanding of computers, networking, web/internet and maybe a little SQL.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I knocked it out in three weeks, so it's definitely possible. Just depends how much you already know.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I knocked it out in three weeks, so it's definitely possible. Just depends how much you already know.

Im reading the sybex book v9 by Sean Oriyano. Do you have any other recomendations

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you do CEH in a month.....? Yes.
    Will you learn, retain, and get to study the knowledge...? Maybe
    Will you pass the exam and become certified...? Maybe

I really wish people would stop trying to cut corners and take shortcuts.... "Can I do this in a month" is basically saying "Im not going to take the time to learn the material and apply it and lab.... im just going to learn enough to pass the exam then learn the rest later"

The reality is.... you can learn just about anything in a month.... But IT and working in this field is not about learning, to some its about "How many certs can I get to fill up my resume".
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Can you do CEH in a month.....? Yes.
    Will you learn, retain, and get to study the knowledge...? Maybe
    Will you pass the exam and become certified...? Maybe

I really wish people would stop trying to cut corners and take shortcuts.... "Can I do this in a month" is basically saying "Im not going to take the time to learn the material and apply it and lab.... im just going to learn enough to pass the exam then learn the rest later"

The reality is.... you can learn just about anything in a month.... But IT and working in this field is not about learning, to some its about "How many certs can I get to fill up my resume".

And I really wish people would stop commenting on subjects they have no experience in. Im not cutting corners because I accelerate through things. Trust me I dont need to ''Fill Up My Resume'' im good where im at for my career field. But thanks for the advice icon_thumright.gif

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Clm wrote: »
    Im reading the sybex book v9 by Sean Oriyano. Do you have any other recomendations
    I read half of the official EC-Council chapters, and the WGU-provided study guide. Didn't touch anything else. Got an 81% on the test.
    I read half of the official EC-Council chapters, and the WGU-provided study guide. Didn't touch anything else. Got an 81% on the test.

I have been told it has a lot of crossover with information from CISSP and even what I have read already there is alot of repeat information and terms.

And I really wish people would stop commenting on subjects they have no experience in. Im not cutting corners because I accelerate through things. Trust me I dont need to ''Fill Up My Resume'' im good where im at for my career field. But thanks for the advice icon_thumright.gif

I was not talking about you... I was generally speaking. I have been noticing a lot of people are trying to see how fast they can get something done without actually learning the material icon_cheers.gif
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    @ITSpectre;

We are discussing an exam that outside of the DoD requirement really isn't of much value in the first place. But if you just want to be certified in something this exam is as good as nothing. Das macht nicts, if you ask me.

- b/eads
    beads wrote: »
    @ITSpectre;

We are discussing an exam that outside of the DoD requirement really isn't of much value in the first place. But if you just want to be certified in something this exam is as good as nothing. Das macht nicts, if you ask me.

- b/eads

Right. The CEH is frowned upon in the hacking/pentesting community anyway. And the only people that really look at it are DoD Govt jobs.... Other then that the cert is really pointless. I believe in making every cert count and choosing something with a good ROI... Plus everyone that I know that has CEH or took it... they say it really does not teach you anything.... it just gives you the tools to hack etc.... but that is it.
    That is why I chose to get the eJPT and go from there.... the CEH is a waste of a piece of paper if you ask me....
    Right. The CEH is frowned upon in the hacking/pentesting community anyway. And the only people that really look at it are DoD Govt jobs.... Other then that the cert is really pointless. I believe in making every cert count and choosing something with a good ROI... Plus everyone that I know that has CEH or took it... they say it really does not teach you anything.... it just gives you the tools to hack etc.... but that is it.
    That is why I chose to get the eJPT and go from there.... the CEH is a waste of a piece of paper if you ask me....

I disagree with you both about the value of CEH. you might be at levels in your career or hold certs that out weight CEH. But to say this cert is worthless is just stupid in my oppinion. I have CISSP so I dont need Security+ but Security+ still has value . I just did a search on Indeed across the nation and there are over 2,400 jobs with this as a requirement. If you go look for OSCP there are only a a little over 1000 jobs. Do I think CEH is worth more than OSCP no but i do believe it has its on market share. Value is judged by what people are willing to pay for something and check around peapole are paying for CEH. I have plenty of security colleagues who value thier CEH.

• wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    End of the day nobody on here should care what anyone else says they don't control their career so if it's something you want to do go for it and best of luck if not then so be it. Whether it's a good or bad cert that depends what job you intend to go for and what they ask. I'm sure most people who have earned the cert actually have it anyway so it was good enough for them at the time
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Who gives a ****, really. If your doing for the check box then good for you. Its a required cert for some jobs. People saying its worthless are missing the point that its a requirement.

Its like the guy saying certs and degrees are worthless and stupid, then three years later he can't find work because he can't meet basic HR filter reqs.

If you already have CISSP/sec+ u just need to brush up on ports protocols and tools and you should be good.
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Who gives a ****, really. If your doing for the check box then good for you. Its a required cert for some jobs. People saying its worthless are missing the point that its a requirement.

Its like the guy saying certs and degrees are worthless and stupid, then three years later he can't find work because he can't meet basic HR filter reqs.

If you already have CISSP/sec+ u just need to brush up on ports protocols and tools and you should be good.

Just because its listed under requirements does not mean you HAVE to have it though.... people don't have to meet 100% of the requirements to get a interview or a job....

At the end of the day get what you want, get the certs you desire.... because none of us here pay your bills, rent, etc.... so we can only give our opinions on what to do. So now you know and knowing is half the battle!
    Just because its listed under requirements does not mean you HAVE to have it though.... people don't have to meet 100% of the requirements to get a interview or a job....

Nevermind, I have no idea what I am talking about...

I agree.
    I agree.
    --______--
    OH no someone just gave me a bad reputatuion click!!!!

But to get back to the topic I have a free Voucher that expires soon so I might as well take it no matter what people think. And i truly mean this I appreciate everyones response no matter what side your on

*In family guy bruce bruce voice*

OHHHHHHhhhhhhh NOOOOooooooooooo!
    itspectre wrote: »
    *in family guy bruce bruce voice*

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooo!

lol

Rep points will be on HR filters in the next few years so be careful.
    Rep points will be on HR filters in the next few years so be careful.

HA! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

he is right.... you may not get the job if your rep is too low!
    Yep. I finished the exam in less than one week start to finish back at version 4. ECSA the next week when version 5 came out. Did I learn anything from the exam? No not really. Did it make me more marketable even back over a decade ago when certs were pretty hot stuff? Nope. My personal disagreement isn't so much with certification, which I only find questionable, thanks for the negative rep he who will remain unmentioned, is the organization itself.

I find working with EC-Council to have been an exercise in tedium and frustration at every given step. From renewal to updates to the passively working website. Just logging on usually takes me 3 or 4 attempts if its up at all. And I've dealt with them for years. Never gotten any better if anything they seem to have become worse.

Don't ever change your email with EC-Council and tell me it went smoothly gentlemen. I know better.

Remember the board karma - whats goes around comes around. You don't have agree me with me. I said questionable not worthless. You've confused my statement with other comments in what I can only guess to be yet another anger fueled rage.

Mmmmmm...kay?

- b/eads
    beads wrote: »
    You don't have agree me with me. I said questionable not worthless. You've confused my statement with other comments in what I can only guess to be yet another anger fueled rage.

Unless you get him started on CISSP and why you HAVE to have 4-5 yrs of exp before you take the exam.... Anger fuled rage commence!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    I don't know if your referring to me when you say what goes around comes around with board karma. If so I will just say its not that serious to me to go and try to give you a bad rep. lol im not five. But you gents have a good one i have some studying to do for my CEH peace love and soul.

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on your CEH Clm.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None