How to properly apply for jobs out of state?

sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am currently an IT Technician in a small city in the south US. I have recently gotten a few certs and am ready for a new job to test my new skills and continue my learning as I move on to more advanced certs. I am mostly job-searching in bigger, IT-hub cities to get myself the best job experience I can.

I was supposed to have a phone interview today with a company in New York, but got an early call saying they didn't realize I was out of state and weren't willing to pay for a flight to have a face-to-face interview if the phone interview went well. This wasn't something I had considered before and I'm starting to think this is why I am not being contacted about many of the applications I am sending out, as my experience for the job I'm applying for (Network Administrator) is solid.

I am no stranger to moving or big cities and feel that it is the best step to move forward in my career because there aren't many jobs here. Does anyone know the best way to handle applying for jobs out of state? Is there something I should write specifically on my resume/cover letter that should say I am fine with relocating myself? Should I just leave my address off the resume completely?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Three suggestions:

1). Get an address in the city and state you are looking for work.

2). Change your phone number to the city and state you are looking for work in

3). Concentrate your focus in job searching to one specific city and state. Make sure it is a hot market where they will want eager folks moving to like Austin, Dallas or Houston. I just had to put out a fire on my phone from all the recruiters calling me for jobs over the past couple of days.
    Honesty is always the best policy. When I was interviewing for TX jobs I was honest with them up front about moving there.... avoid telling them that you are "working to re-locate". in your cover letter state why you are looking to move there, that you are willing to pay up front for relocation, and when you plan to be there. Also you want to apply to states that you actually want to go to... when they ask "why are you applying here" be honest with them... luckily I have family in TX so I used that story... I have family and I am relocating to be closer to them. That shows the employer that you are not just relocating just to get a job, then go to another job in 3 months.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    I would leave it off the resume. And if they ask where you live, just mention you are working on re-locating to their location right now. Just be prepared to have to pay for flight and hotel if they want to do an in-person interview.

A better way to save is to apply to states that you want to live in, but you have family there. Then you only have to pay for a flight and a rental car.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Three suggestions:

1). Get an address in the city and state you are looking for work.

2). Change your phone number to the city and state you are looking for work in

3). Concentrate your focus in job searching to one specific city and state. Make sure it is a hot market where they will want eager folks moving to like Austin, Dallas or Houston. I just had to put out a fire on my phone from all the recruiters calling me for jobs over the past couple of days.

Are those the indian recruiters
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    booz allen was willing to pay for my relocation. Too bad I wasnt really ready by then. Be upfront about it. I would ask for relocation assistance. Say in your resume - willing to relocate.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just have my name, cell phone and email address on my resume. My cell phone number is always an out of area number because I've had forever and haven't switched carriers since. Most people realize that people have cell phone numbers that are from out of state. Recently, I just signed up for a google voice number for an area that I'm moving to. This was primarily to keep my cell phone number off of the public websites, so I could make my resume searchable and to also keep it out of databases.

It you fill out an application you are probably still going to have to use your current address unless you have an address in the city you are applying to. If you put down an address in a different location than what you live that puts you in a situation of having to potentially foot the bill to travel for an interview.

I like to change my location on indeed and dice to the area I'm applying to jobs, that way my resume might pop up in the searches of companies who are actively searching for candidates. Then if they contact me I tell them my situation.
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I just have my name, cell phone and email address on my resume. My cell phone number is always an out of area number because I've had forever and haven't switched carriers since. Most people realize that people have cell phone numbers that are from out of state. Recently, I just signed up for a google voice number for an area that I'm moving to. This was primarily to keep my cell phone number off of the public websites, so I could make my resume searchable and to also keep it out of databases.

It you fill out an application you are probably still going to have to use your current address unless you have an address in the city you are applying to. If you put down an address in a different location than what you live that puts you in a situation of having to potentially foot the bill to travel for an interview.

I like to change my location on indeed and dice to the area I'm applying to jobs, that way my resume might pop up in the searches of companies who are actively searching for candidates. Then if they contact me I tell them my situation.

Agreed.
    I tried that and it backfired on me.... I had a Richmond TX address on my resume... one that I got off of google. I had a good interview over the phone and was asked to be at the office at 10am the next day for a face to face interview. I didn't get the job.
    You are going to have to foot the bill to travel for the interview sometimes. It depends on the company. But most employers will do phone interviews and do a face to face if they like you.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I live in a small town in Wisconsin that is close to St Paul/Minneapolis MN area.

I have no problem traveling to Minneapolis/St Paul MN area.

My current my address is on my resume, will this hurt my job search?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I live in a small town in Wisconsin that is close to St Paul/Minneapolis MN area.

I have no problem traveling to Minneapolis/St Paul MN area.

My current my address is on my resume, will this hurt my job search?

Not at all. Locals will realize that you are close and it won't be a big deal. I've had 3 times when I've relocated to new states since I started in IT and none of them were all that hard. All had an out of area cell number to contact me. (Sometimes if you by chance get interviewed by someone for your old area that can actually be a good thing as they will be able to personalize you as a real person who may be like them.) Also, I always had my current address on my resume even though it was out of state. I wasn't expecting them to foot the bill to move as it was my choice to move there and I just needed a job there. As I get further in my career either they or my wife's employer will be footing those relocation costs as I can be a bit more picky.

I try to schedule as many interviews as I can into a 1-2 day time period so I can travel and have multiple interviews while I am there to really focus on that. I'll also stop in the offices of local recruiting companies and ask to speak with someone that fills "IT" positions as it is yet another contact that you can make that will only help you out in your job search. I don't lie. I will tell them where I currently live and why I am looking to relocated to that city, whether it be because I want to work for them or I prefer that city.