Options

eJPT and CCNA or both?

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am currently studying for my eJPT since Im a beginner with basic Linux knowledge. But after I finish what is next... I kind of like to have a road map to where I want to be. My main goal is the OSCP but I have to learn to crawl before I walk... Would the CCNA benefit me in any way? or should I just stick with the Pen-testing and security certs since that is the route I have decided to take?
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    xXxKrisxXxxXxKrisxXx Member Posts: 80 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd CCNA eventually if you want to get into penetration testing. It won't be a requirement for the OSCP (obviously). I regret not getting into networking before picking up a majority of my certs. It's come back to bite me in the @ss for sure. It's not too late for me though and it's not too late for you.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Duly noted... I will be sure to pick up some networking skills during my studies with the eJPT.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I definitely think having CCNA/CCNA:Security level knowledge is very important but are you really going to keep up with your Cisco cert and renew every 3 years? May be difficult and not worth the effort if you are going into a security position where you are not touching Cisco devices regularly. Just something to consider.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    eJPT ==> eCPPT ==> OSCP

Take CCNA later...or just learn TCP/IP as you go...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    just learn TCP/IP as you go...

This ^^^^