Another 'What next topic'

k1455123k1455123 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background: BSc - CS, MSc - Security, Certs: Sec+ (taking SSCP)
Work: Dev(1y) , Admin(1), Security Eng(2), Lead Security Eng(1)

Question: Im debating taking the network+ cert, is it worth it? Also since EC-council got hacked, does their CEH hold any value?

Im on the road towards CISSP, im looking to get something after the SSCP thats not the CISSP

Thanks

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    EC-Council always gets hacked, but job postings don't indicate a diminishing ask for CEH. CEH will give you some basics, but you're not going to get any hands-on "how to do this" education if that's what you're looking for.

I'm hearing from other people here that you'd get more "educational" value out of a CEH alternative like eLearnSecurity's Certified Professional Penetration Tester. No help that on the resume, though, since it's not widely known. I've never taken an eLearnSecurity course so can't vouch for it other than knowing many, many people here recommend it.

I like the Network+, esp. for security. It's basic networking knowledge which is a great starter once you get deeper into the security realm.

Of course, I always self-promote my own thread at http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/113328-what-information-security-certifications-should-i-get.html
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Unless you have some specific need for a N+ I think there are much better places to spend your time and money.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • k1455123k1455123 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you both for the replys, the N+ would just be for own knowledge.

Any certs between SSCP - CISSP?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not just go for the CISSP after the SSCP? You'll only need 4 years of experience with your current certs/education, you would likely qualify. Disregard if you're looking for something more technical then the CISSP.
  • k1455123k1455123 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. Ill end up taking the CISSP during the next year
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    k1455123 wrote: »
    Background: BSc - CS, MSc - Security, Certs: Sec+ (taking SSCP)
    Work: Dev(1y) , Admin(1), Security Eng(2), Lead Security Eng(1)

Question: Im debating taking the network+ cert, is it worth it? Also since EC-council got hacked, does their CEH hold any value?

Im on the road towards CISSP, im looking to get something after the SSCP thats not the CISSP

Thanks

Complete your SSCP (I'm a huge believer in completing things you start) and then Beer.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    k1455123 wrote: »
    thank you both for the replys, the N+ would just be for own knowledge.

Any certs between SSCP - CISSP?

CASP, perhaps? I don't have CASP, but I did study a CASP guide to help me prep for SSCP, and it helped a lot. I think that CASP may steer you away from the management side that CISSP provides, though. Not sure if that's what you want.

Regarding studying Network+ just for the knowledge, that's a great idea. I took Mike Meyers' Udemy A+ class just for the knowledge. I don't need to earn the certification, but I did want the knowledge associated with it. I also ready the CEH AIO, but I have no desire to take the test. Having a structured approach to learning makes a difference for me. YMMV