My story so far...

Matt140Matt140 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

My story so far goes like this:

Graduated from University with a 2:1 degree in Computing.
Moved to a household name retailer where i had 6 months of doing hardware/software support.
After being made redundent i moved to an automotive retailer, did desktop support for a year, then second line support for a year and then became the lead in the in house voiptelecoms team. After 3 years travel got too much and i found a 2nd line application support role with another household name and have been here for just under a year.

My question is, what is the best way to make the transition from tech into support management as this is where i would like to go as my next step.

Have you done this yourself?

Any feedback would be great.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    See if where you are at now, if you can make the jump there, if not, start sending out resumes and start testing at home.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Matt140Matt140 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was looking at doing the Ops support and analysis certification from ITIL to assist, my lack of experience in this role would be a major concern and sticking point right?
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Matt140 wrote: »
    After being made redundent i moved to an automotive retailer, did desktop support for a year, then second line support for a year and then became the lead in the in house voiptelecoms team. After 3 years travel got too much and i found a 2nd line application support role with another household name and have been here for just under a year.

Why did you go from the lead of voip team to application support role? It seems like a step backwards.
  • Matt140Matt140 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was taking me over 3 hours per day commute and i had been advised i wasnt able to work any days from home. Plus as these where all internal role changes the money never really improved and was told the budget wasnt there so i found a higher paying role closer to home, now it takes me about 20 mins per day.
    But yes, the role was a step backwards in terms of experience but in terms on £ and benefits for me it was a step forward.
    What i want to know is how do i get that first management role with minimal experience.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Matt140 wrote: »
    It was taking me over 3 hours per day commute and i had been advised i wasnt able to work any days from home. Plus as these where all internal role changes the money never really improved and was told the budget wasnt there so i found a higher paying role closer to home, now it takes me about 20 mins per day.
    But yes, the role was a step backwards in terms of experience but in terms on £ and benefits for me it was a step forward.
    What i want to know is how do i get that first management role with minimal experience.

Modify the job titles of your previous positions (on your resume).
    Add in a few extra buzzwords related to "managing".

Some people might call it... UNETHICAL.

i might call it... Creative Writing :]
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @volfkhat
    My First Degree is in Creative Writing: Fiction. And It's Fiction lol