New Cyber Security Job! (Need advice)

SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently received and accepted a new job offer - I start next Monday! This will be my first job in IT and my first "adult job". I will be setting up and maintaining enterprise firewalls which include working with VPN technologies, network administration, and creating security policies. I will be provided with two months of extensive training followed by certifications. I have no certifications or real IT work experience, just an AAS in Cyber Security. I did however, undergo an intense and very competitive interview process - which lasted from 8:30AM-3:00PM. Out of the 40 or so people, 11 of us made it. I'm very humbled by all of this and I could not be happier. Now, the reason I am posting is mainly to get some advice from the men and women who have been in this industry for years. Please share some do's and don't dos - pros and cons, anything you can think of to build a better prospective. Thank you for reading, I really do appreciate it. icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like an amazing opportunity, I have to ask though, do you have to pay for the training?
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tell us more about the position and anything else of importance. Sounds like you have a Network/Security Admin position. What types of things are you concerned about (job responsibilities, certs)?
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats. Sounds like a good opportunity. I'd need to know more about the company and specific things you'll be doing in the role.

"enterprise firewalls which include working with VPN technologies, network administration, and creating security policies" isn't exactly something I'd consider entry-level for a first real job, let alone a first IT job.

Do you know the training/certs they are offering or do you get to pick which ones? If you get to pick, I guess I'd steer you towards CCNA & Security+ to start....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Curious to know what the duties would be for this as well. Since they just hired on 11 entry level people for this position... And over 25% of the people going for the position got one
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Have an open mind and be a team player.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, where is this at? I do a bit of that now, but I've never heard of someone getting this as their first IT job, especially with no certs and just an AA.

Congrats though :D
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My red alert sensor is going off here. I would also love to hear some details about this gig. It is very uncommon to give newcomers the tasks you described after such brief training, let alone 11 of them. Now that I think about it, is this one of those gigs where they train you like crazy and then you have to work for them for X amount of time?
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If anyone, especially someone in a position of authority, asks if you know something specific or can perform a particular task, if you can't, don't be afraid to say that you don't know. Say, "I don't know, but I'll do what it takes to learn." You may get to be known as the guy who puts in the extra effort to get the job done right. It's worked for me.
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From a 'technical security' point of view, did you just get hired by the DNC?
  • Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is totally bizarre, even one of the responsibilities you've mentioned would be a well paid experienced professional role on its own, and they've combined them all together and offered jobs to a quarter of the people interviewed.
  • SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for the replies! So... to sum things up.

I was contacted by a recruiter, who works for the company, about their "Entry Level Technical Advisor Program." In a nutshell, I will be receiving paid training, unlimited lab time, and study resources. They already issued me three books, two labeled "Security Engineering - Student/Lab manual, and "Principals of Network Security." Once I start they will also provide me a company computer to practice labs using VMware, which I am also allowed to come into work and use their firewalls, routers, ect, for practice as well. I summarized my job description based on the three books they gave to me. I do have to pass a certification exam later on down the road but for now, they're going to slowly mold us into security administrators. This program is specifically for anyone who understands the fundamentals of networking and is a team player. I felt a lot of support from the senior level employees there; all of them said, "If we see that you are putting in the time to learn our technology, we will work with you." To answer a lot of your concerns, I will not be configuring enterprise firewalls from the start, but it will be a part of my job duty later on. I will be answering phone calls, emails, and live web chat tickets. Sorry if this is not enough information, I haven't even started yet, so that being said - I will let everyone know how my first day goes to get a better understanding of what's going on.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! But I will suggest you read all of the "fine print" on the contract just to be sure everything is on the up and up. Last thing you want is to find out you owe them a specific amount of time or have to pay for the "training". Sounds like something along the lines of indentured servitude, but hopefully I am wrong.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Congrats! But I will suggest you read all of the "fine print" on the contract just to be sure everything is on the up and up. Last thing you want is to find out you owe them a specific amount of time or have to pay for the "training". Sounds like something along the lines of indentured servitude, but hopefully I am wrong.

This is 100% my concern. If you get 5 weeks in and they decide you aren't ready and all of a sudden you owe 18K in training fees. Be VERY sure what you're getting into.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    I believe everything he said. Along with training it's a long term job commitment, (slightly) similar to joining the military. It reminds me of an opportunity someone sent me:

Academy Program - FDM Group

Prior to working with our client, your training will take place at FDM’s state-of-the-art center at 14 Wall Street in New York City. Successful candidates will receive intense technical and professional training (11 weeks) in Manhattan through our award-winning Academy. You become an FDM employee from day one and are paid during the training period before placement onsite with our client. The Network Analyst training will contain modules in UNIX, SQL, ITIL Foundation, OS Admin, CCNA Networking and Information Security. The program is specially tailored to develop your proficiency in the Technology Infrastructure environment.
    Following the completion of training, you will be employed as an FDM Consultant for a minimum of two years and will become responsible for representing FDM on site at our banking client in Dallas, TX. Fast-track career progression is a key focus of FDM, and our program will put you on a pathway that can lead into leadership roles working within multinational organizations.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here's your first assignment:
    Go on Glassdoor (or google,etc) and read/search as many Employee Reviews as you can.

For everyone else who is skeptical; i know how you feel.

But ive seen this type of opportunity FIRST HAND.
    Last summer, CDW had postings for entry-level Security position/internships.
    I applied for it; it was a helluva opportunity with all the training, etc.
    But i think you did lots of travelling (going to various clients across the country)
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Here's your first assignment:
    Go on Glassdoor (or google,etc) and read/search as many Employee Reviews as you can.

For everyone else who is skeptical; i know how you feel.

But ive seen this type of opportunity FIRST HAND.

But i think you did lots of travelling (going to various clients across the country)

None of the reviews state anything about owing money or some sort of contract. I read through my contract papers and there is nothing in there too outlandish. Maybe it's one of the those golden opportunities?

And thank you all for sharing some insight, really puts a couple of things into perspective.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »

And that's EXACTLY why I steer away from the big all-in-one-box shops for anything security-related. SO much demand and so little supply, they just suck up whoever they can find and throw them out there. A newbie is the last person I want to pay top dollar to help secure my company, even if he's "under the supervision" of a quasi-experienced person!!
  • 2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know someone who didnt have a cert and just got into IT. he was hired by a company out in California (we were in DMV area) and he is getting all what the OP mentioned. some companies will take you from zero to Hero. they actually want their employees to learn and grow.
    22306 wrote: »
    I know someone who didnt have a cert and just got into IT. he was hired by a company out in California (we were in DMV area) and he is getting all what the OP mentioned. some companies will take you from zero to Hero. they actually want their employees to learn and grow.

Funny you say California, because the company I work for is Check Point Software - which I agree, I probably should've stated from the get go.

To address everyone else, the zero to hero thing holds truth but you, yourself, have to put in all the work in order to do so. They provide unlimited amount of resources in order to achieve your goal, and they really do care. In all being said, they're investing in you to start your career and provide productivity at the same time. I really wish more companies would do this but it sure costs a lot of money in order to manage something like that. I am very thankful.