How often do you purge your certifications off of linkedin, Indeed, Resume etc?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I grabbed a bunch of the ITIL exams years ago along with some COMPTIA's which I no longer list. For me it doesn't make sense, I was just wondering what the community does in regards to purging some of the older certifications that are relatively useless or no longer worth much.

Lately I've been trying to keep my certs down to 2 - 3. I realize some of the big time engineers have 10 or more due to all the different networking and system certs, that makes sense. But for most IT professionals it would seem that too many might come of strange or even compulsive.

Thoughts on omitting or purging certificates? Example - If you are going for a development job does it make much sense to list A+?

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My CompTIA, Microsoft, and Check Point certs got replaced on the CV by ISC2, GIAC, and Cisco. I list what is relevant to the position that I'm applying for.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sounds like it two parts

One you omit because they are literally worthless. The other you omit due to the position you are applying for.....
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I only put the certificates that are up to date.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    SoT I couldn't agree more, I am always looking at ways of trimming down my "list". I don't like the way my resume looks when it has a bunch of certs blown out all over the place. Page 3 certifications LMAO
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only put the certificates that are up to date.
    I do this as well, there's no point listing an expired cert if a company could just ask to verify something during the hiring process, and it cannot be verified.
    As far as the ones still valid, I only list them if they are relevant to my current career - for example I did my MCSE a while ago, but I don't do any in-depth work with Microsoft servers anymore so I don't even list it. I might mention it in a historical context for specific job applications, to show I'm well-rounded in that area of IT.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For LinkedIn I might be persuaded to list old certs as historical or retired as a consideration. Haven't seen anyone do that yet but could be an interesting pathway - or - it could make you a bit long in the tooth. Listing the Master Certified Novell Expert or MCNE might draw some snickers. Those certs in general are where we get the whole paper tiger argument. Children under 10 have passed both MS and Novell exams.

On the real resume front? Naw, take em off and concentrate on what you can do for the organization today not on yesteryear's certs and training. Unless of course your applying for some odd retro job for AS/400 RPG programming or something. Then it would make sense.

- b/eads

typo
    Makes sense beads, same here. I've all but removed my project management certifications from my LinkedIn and Resume. Currently taking a SQL exam and if that is a pass it's going to be my lone certification listed on my resume.
  • C4matrixC4matrix Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For LinkedIn, I'd prefer a pedigree of certs as the shotgun approach. COBOL, toss it in, you never know when there will be another Y2K. Resume? Be relevant. I was trying to recall certifications that were paper proof. Seems like maybe CCIE and MCNE IAA.
    In the end is is not supplying what a recruiter wants to see but being what they need. Then it's up for you to deliver.
    laff it up
    Haha Fortran 66 1972
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't actually list any certs on my resume. I just have a QR code that links to my TechExams profile.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think listing all your certs is important, why sell yourself short??
    It would suck if you were passed over for a job because you never listed it on your resume.
    Being diverse in different IT areas is a good thing even if you are not practicing in that particular area anymore. (relating to the cert)
    It's like not listing your continuing education, you earned that cert, didn't you? Maybe you didn't pay for it yourself, thus why you call it irrelevant. I personally have paid for all my certs and study material, so I will probably always list mine.
    Maybe you don't list it so you won't be pulled into something that you don't wanna do, if you were hired.
    However, it's your prerogative on how you do it.
    CHEERS & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • thesecuritybrothesecuritybro Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    I think listing all your certs is important, why sell yourself short??
    It would suck if you were passed over for a job because you never listed it on your resume.
    Being diverse in different IT areas is a good thing even if you are not practicing in that particular area anymore. (relating to the cert)
    It's like not listing your continuing education, you earned that cert, didn't you? Maybe you didn't pay for it yourself, thus why you call it irrelevant. I personally have paid for all my certs and study material, so I will probably always list mine.
    Maybe you don't list it so you won't be pulled into something that you don't wanna do, if you were hired.
    However, it's your prerogative on how you do it.
    CHEERS & HI5!

One day you will understand lol. You get to a point in your career where those entry level certs become more of a joke than a benefit. Really, I would expect someone to laugh in my face if I mentioned A+.