CASP failed- My thoughts

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
took my exam this morning and failed. I thought the exam was fair for the most part there were some questions where i didn't know the terminology. Simulations were tough and probably the biggest reason for my downfall. like everyone else says understanding how to apply the terminology you know is key.

Comments

• JC DentonJC Denton Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    damn...sorry to hear that, man. BTW, what did you use for preparation?
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Started of with cybrary.it material, then did most of my reading with pearson book. i had the sybex book my coworker gave me but i didn't really use it. also had access to FedVte but my issue with it is the instructor keeps getting off topic with other thoughts.

This next round i'm going to do the labs in the back of Sybex and purchase 1 month of ITproTV

going to retake in 3 weeks....then i have to start preparing for CEH (both certs of job req) and i have 6 months to get them
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Youll get em next time bud.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • JC DentonJC Denton Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for info! I'm preparing CASP also and should sit the exam in about 2 weeks. I'm going in a very similar route as you did, apparently (Cybrary, Pearson book and udemy videos).

I'm sure you'll nail the exam the next time, no reason not to. :) Good luck (to us both) :)
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    took my exam this morning and failed. I thought the exam was fair for the most part there were some questions where i didn't know the terminology. Simulations were tough and probably the biggest reason for my downfall. like everyone else says understanding how to apply the terminology you know is key.

Man, I thought it would be straight forward after passing my CISSP. After reviewing the info the CASP goes into much more detail. I was scheduled to take my test yesterday, but I rescheduled it in the middle of the week because I couldn't dedicate all my time during the close of the quarter. How intense were the Labs? That's what I'm sweating the most.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    How intense were the Labs? That's what I'm sweating the most.

I also took CASP after CISSP. If you have systems, network and security operational experience, the sims are not that difficult. See The CompTIA CASP Exam Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Man, I thought it would be straight forward after passing my CISSP. After reviewing the info the CASP goes into much more detail. I was scheduled to take my test yesterday, but I rescheduled it in the middle of the week because I couldn't dedicate all my time during the close of the quarter. How intense were the Labs? That's what I'm sweating the most.

if you got your CISSP it should be albeit easier, all the domains your covered are int he CASP granted it is in a technical format
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If you want to over prepare, then I recommend also the book Information Security: The Complete Reference, Second Edition by Mark Rhodes-Ousley.

I didn't find the two 'official' guides to be very good. The other thing which was useful for me, and not easy to replicate, is experience. It's a pretty broad exam.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    OctalDump wrote: »
    If you want to over prepare, then I recommend also the book Information Security: The Complete Reference, Second Edition by Mark Rhodes-Ousley.

I didn't find the two 'official' guides to be very good. The other thing which was useful for me, and not easy to replicate, is experience. It's a pretty broad exam.

I'll take a look, i have free access to safari textbooks
    For some more advice to those taking it soon, get your basics down first, so know your definitions, from there you need to know how those glossary terms can be applied... like some have said the question given could come down to that 1-2 words. spend at least 1-2 weeks doing practice test seeing what domains your weak in then restudy/ retake practice test. get a good nights sleep and no last minute studying.

My circumstatances are a bit different since i have a certain timeframe i need to get this certification and another so i did feel rushed to get this scheduled and take it. 1 so if i failed i still have some wiggle room to restudy/retake and to get an idea of what really is on the test vs what people are saying. some said this test was unfair but i strongly disagree. If you try to just study based on the key topics the book tells you to do you will likely fail.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    For some more advice to those taking it soon, get your basics down first, so know your definitions, from there you need to know how those glossary terms can be applied... like some have said the question given could come down to that 1-2 words. spend at least 1-2 weeks doing practice test seeing what domains your weak in then restudy/ retake practice test. get a good nights sleep and no last minute studying.

My circumstatances are a bit different since i have a certain timeframe i need to get this certification and another so i did feel rushed to get this scheduled and take it. 1 so if i failed i still have some wiggle room to restudy/retake and to get an idea of what really is on the test vs what people are saying. some said this test was unfair but i strongly disagree. If you try to just study based on the key topics the book tells you to do you will likely fail.

When are you going to retake it?
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Have you retaken it?
    CIO wrote: »
    Have you retaken it?

yes you should see my pass thread from a few weeks ago