HAM Radio / Satellite Internet operators?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
Does anyone have any experience getting radio licensed or with satellite internet? Just asking for entertainment purposes.

Thanks!

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went through the radio licensing system about 15 years ago, just before the dropped the Morse requirement. The tests weren't difficult then and have probably gotten easier over time (they publish the question pools online so you can get an idea of what each license requires).
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Got my Technician Plus almost 20 years go while I was in high school (yeah, I'm nerdy like that). I only operate 2m and 70cm. Super easy exam if a)you get to really know this stuff or b)you memorize the whole published pool of questions, which IMHO defeats the purpose.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Got my Technician Plus almost 20 years go while I was in high school (yeah, I'm nerdy like that). I only operate 2m and 70cm. Super easy exam if a)you get to really know this stuff or b)you memorize the whole published pool of questions, which IMHO defeats the purpose.

Any recommendations on places to start?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    First place to look would be the ARRL. There you can find links to local clubs, exam locations, study resources, equipment info, etc.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    The world of HAM radio is actually pretty interesting but it's really not in vogue and is mostly the realm of older males. HAM covers a wide swath of of technologies from folks who talk to others around the globe to a more local style of radio (2 meter). If you live in a remote area you may not have cell service, but it's likely you'll have a HAM repeater network. You tune into that repeater and you can use your kit to make calls & even broadcast your GPS coordinates if you need assistance (where there is no cell service). HAM radio also is great during emergencies.

Find a local club, contact them and ask to come out and visit. The guys will be more than happy to have a new recruit on board & you'll find many of them are very technically literate. And some guys take is very seriously. There are operators who have massive antenna arrays and a "radio shack" and spend their time talking to people around the world.