Action required: Stop the internet takeover now!

rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
Has anyone else seen this? https://youtu.be/-xu5p_nDcrg

I'd like to know what people on here think of this.
No longer an active member

Comments

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Ahaha, stopped at the first minute, at the part about alleged takeover of Internet from the US "with some protection for First Amendment rights" to the rest of the world " where authoritarian regimes rule".
    Like freedom lives only in the US. But then NSA... and FICA courts. ..
    I think the narrator hints at the incoming transfer of authority over root DNS domains from US government agency to an international standards authority. But then I saw that, of all people, Ted Cruz chimed in on that subject. Ted Cruz opines on DNS issues! Ahahaha!!!
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's quite sad that someone can laugh at that and looks like they don't put much value in freedoms they have in the US. I suggest to live in a not so free country, like Russia or China, for a while to compare. In these countries FISA courts issues wouldn't even go public and whistleblowers are impossible. 70-90% of all the countries in the world are more or less totalitarian and, given the control of their segments of the Internet, are surely expected to use it to full potential.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    It's quite sad that someone can laugh at that and looks like they don't put much value in freedoms they have in the US. I suggest to live in a not so free country, like Russia or China, for a while to compare. In these countries FISA courts issues wouldn't even go public and whistleblowers are impossible. 70-90% of all the countries in the world are more or less totalitarian and, given the control of their segments of the Internet, are surely expected to use it to full potential.
    It's is saddening to witness a moment when one is enabling a government of militant plutocracy by swallowing everything one is told by the bullhorns of that plutocracy.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    So the argument is UN bad, US good?

I think it's not such a big deal. The US already has 'seized' domains. Most countries also blacklist domains and IPs, filter traffic, and presumably have contingency plans for cutting internet traffic entirely if needed. The major intelligence agencies monitor internet traffic. There have been some serious high level hacks in the past that have rerouted major amounts of traffic through other countries.

There's far more serious concerns, than who is handing out IPs or top level domains. Ultimately the IANA isn't so much about control but about coordination. Any group of people could get together and run their own root DNS or IP address space. It only matters when you want to talk to other people, you need a common agreement.

Given the success of organisations like IEEE or the IETF, which aren't 'government controlled', I think this is just political fringe paranoia.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    This article should quell any fears or conspiracy theories. I've quoted the most important parts of the article:

Government-speak aside, here's what's really happening: when there is a root zone change request from a domain registry, for example, this needs to be approved by the Commerce Department's NTIA "before Verisign can act on it," Akram Atallah, ICANN's president of the global domains division, told Ars in a recent interview.

"In reality, the only thing that really changes is that NTIA will no longer approve these changes. We will send them to Verisign, and Verisign will have to update the root zone," he said.

Source:

Y2K 2.0: Is the US government set to