Need to research certain topics for Job

sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey!

I got a screening call from a place. They are willing to hire someone with 0 experience, and people with years and years of experience. So they're open to people knowing a little bit here and there. I have a few years doing desktop support and I have the Network+ and CCNA.

I have familiarity with Windows Server 2012, as in using WDS to deploy images with PXE Boot. However, I asked what the focus was during their day to day on Server 2012, he stated this.

What we’re specifically concerned with regarding Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012 are:

· Monitoring CPU performance (is the CPU maxing out?)
· Monitoring disk space
· Monitoring the security of the server (has someone broken in?)
· Addressing the three above issues when they get critical

So I've looked into performance monitor for the first part, and have a fair grasp on it. What else can I look up/research/read/watch to be able to answer the rest of these?

Thanks!

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    You can do all of that simply by using a monitoring program. If they are 100% microsoft shop they may have SCOM already in place - if that's the case that would be the go to for creating monitors for specific thresholds (IE email me at 70% usage, 90% usage and 100% usage). There are hundreds of other programs out there that will monitor windows servers. They usually use WMI to poll the server for specifc things like disk, cpu, memory, ect. We use ManageEngine OPManager, it's cheap and gets the job done.

As for the security piece that's a bit harder. obviously you have things like Symantec to install locally, but more importantly you should be monitoring log files, hopefully using a centralized server for log capturing.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    You can do all of that simply by using a monitoring program. If they are 100% microsoft shop they may have SCOM already in place - if that's the case that would be the go to for creating monitors for specific thresholds (IE email me at 70% usage, 90% usage and 100% usage). There are hundreds of other programs out there that will monitor windows servers. They usually use WMI to poll the server for specifc things like disk, cpu, memory, ect. We use ManageEngine OPManager, it's cheap and gets the job done.

As for the security piece that's a bit harder. obviously you have things like Symantec to install locally, but more importantly you should be monitoring log files, hopefully using a centralized server for log capturing.

Thanks a lot. I will look into these programs. What would you say should be the acts taken when they get critical? My obvious answer would be that when these things reach a certain threshold, to send automatic SMS or E-mail messages to the party responsible for managing the equipment.

If CPU usage: Check what is taking up too much usage, and if excessive programs are running, to end them. If all necessary programs are running and CPU is taking too much of a hit, upgrade the equipment.
    If Disk usage: Same, check what is taking up all the space. If something is taking up too much that it shouldn't, see what it is and why (like backups taking up too much space). If everything is necessary, then upgrade.
    If someone has broken in: Check open ports and make sure only required traffic is allowed. Check login history and attempts and accounts used. Verify that it wasn't an employee doing these internally. If account as hiajcked, kill the account or change login info. Check the workstation for viruses, malware, spyware, etc.

How would that sound as a response?
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Your answers are definitely good responses. It's depends on the company, current policies and what is acceptable.