Options

SANS GSLC/GISP - CISO roles

scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
Dear all,

Wanted to ask if the above certifications are renowned if working as a CISO? I know there is the CISM but I have seen that can be passed by just attending the exam (I know a few people who have) so wanted something with substantial learning where you truly learn something prior to doing the exam.

GISP like CISSP if I am not mistaken?

Thanks in advance
AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...

Comments

• Options
    Anyone?? :) - anybody done GSLC or GISP? Will be doing the former as a work study in London next March.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you get to the point where you are considered for a CISO role, they will look more for your business values than what IT related certifications, not that the IT certs dont matter, they do matter, but the business side matters more.
  • Options
    jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the GISP as I used it to prepare for the CISSP. I have it because work paid for the SANS course (which was great to prepare for the CISSP) and the GISP just came with it. I used it as a practice test for the CISSP as it's 250 questions and 5 or 6 hours as is the CISSP.

If you are looking to get into a CISO role, I'd probably say the CISSP is better recognized than the GISP. But I am just a low level analyst, so I don't want to be talking too much out of character :)
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A long proven, and unmarred career escalation and a well respected MBA will get you there. Most CISO types I have known over the years either were never all that technical or aren't anymore. They are primarily politicians and leaders at that point in there careers, relying on the technical folks in the trenches for the... well, technical part.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Many thanks for the responses guys, I have an MSc majoring in info sec from a reknowned uni in London. MBA looks good - debating if worth it if I have the masters. Have a few certifications - want to do cism and gslc next year. Maybe issmp but doubt it needs doing after these.

Have worked in cyber for 12 years - mainly risk and architecture/advisory.