New Job offer

CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently work in cyber security and I am being offered a position with another company in the same field, but this one is more high tech and likely requires an extensive background check and a security clearance which this company will assist. The thing that is bothering me is this is all new and I wasn't looking for another job and now I am being offered something that looks amazing and a step up in the right direction. I will hear them out and am thinking of talking to my current company about a salary match, if they can pay above what the offer will be, I'll stay with my current company even if it means a lot more work on occasion. If they can't match/pay above that I will be moving on and will have enough time to properly train my replacement and pass my work. This position is something they want to fill quickly as well, however, I am not in a serious need to jump ship just yet... Either way this is a win win as I'm not directly interested in a new position however if it is something I can't pass up, well icon_lol.gif

The pros
9-5 mon-friday
Very high salary
They brought up training programs and paid cert training, they fly you out to get training on a range of certs and knowledge base
Likely a better position in this field, as my current job is becoming a stalemate, you get work when they have something for you etc..

The cons
longer commute
no overtime requirement and no on call work - I'm currently on-call 24 hours a day for a weekly schedule and I don't get paid for those hours

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much of a longer commute? Also if you are afraid of change don't let fear influence your decision.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dont use this job to get a salary match. If you hear then out and decide to decline then do so. But dont let your job know you were entertaining offers. It will put you at the top of the list to replace.

I would take the job. The best way to move in is while employed. If the job is better and a step up, why stay? So hear them out, and see what the offer is. If you arent sure, turn it down or counter something outrageous. If they pay you 200k would you take it? 300k? Cant hurt to hear them out and see what happens.
  • CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    How much of a longer commute? Also if you are afraid of change don't let fear influence your decision.

I'm currently 10min away from work, this would bring me to over 30 min commute and with traffic after work thats another issue. I also work remote a lot during the month and this new job requires daily office work. I currently work from home doing what I do
    Dont use this job to get a salary match. If you hear then out and decide to decline then do so. But dont let your job know you were entertaining offers. It will put you at the top of the list to replace.

I would take the job. The best way to move in is while employed. If the job is better and a step up, why stay? So hear them out, and see what the offer is. If you arent sure, turn it down or counter something outrageous. If they pay you 200k would you take it? 300k? Cant hurt to hear them out and see what happens.

Just feels weird being offered a once in a life time position out of the blue you know. Also worried for this reason, It's a 6-9 month contract which would still pay me a lot more than I make currently and my current job is one I probably wont be fired from for any reason. There are people at my current company who have been in the same position for 6 years and they haven't advanced, I'm here almost 15 months and thinking of looking for more advanced work...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    6-9 months? yeah I wouldn't give up something steady for contract work.

I started on a 3 month contract and moved up to engineer in a few months at my current company, so I don't know yet.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A 30 minute commute, you poor thing. I do a 1 hr plus, but I sometime like it.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Likely a better position in this field, as my current job is becoming a stalemate, you get work when they have something for you etc..

Now there's the bigger problem; You're getting stale...
    but you seem to be content (because of the short commute/ work from home)?
    *Danger Zone*

Whether you accept the (potential) job or not.... it may be time to move on, regardless.

Unless you do Not want to grow/challenge yourself in new ways (due to family/personal commitments, etc)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The cons
    longer commute
    no overtime requirement and no on call work - I'm currently on-call 24 hours a day for a weekly schedule and I don't get paid for those hours

Why is this a "CON"? Are you saying you enjoy overtime and being on call without compensation?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Just feels weird being offered a once in a life time position out of the blue you know. Also worried for this reason, It's a 6-9 month contract which would still pay me a lot more than I make currently and my current job is one I probably wont be fired from for any reason. There are people at my current company who have been in the same position for 6 years and they haven't advanced, I'm here almost 15 months and thinking of looking for more advanced work...

this shouldn’t feel weird at all. its called progressing your career. And its a good thing. Those people that have been in the same position for 6 years, check in with them 10 years later and see how they made out. If you have a strong skill set, you should get used to being offered jobs regularly.

Anytime you are at a place and you arentt learning new things and aren’t being promoted after a year, its time to go imo. Staying stagnant in IT is a death sentence.
    this shouldn’t feel weird at all. its called progressing your career. And its a good thing. Those people that have been in the same position for 6 years, check in with them 10 years later and see how they made out. If you have a strong skill set, you should get used to being offered jobs regularly.

Anytime you are at a place and you arentt learning new things and aren’t being promoted after a year, its time to go imo. Staying stagnant in IT is a death sentence.

There is actually another cyber security position they are opening up in my dept, and I have been nominated to lead that position. The thing is, management and who you actually talk to all have a different story. I heard the raise and this position is coming down to me and I'll be the one this position is being offered to we are just waiting for HR at this point and the company upper management/directors to approve this. The thing is, after speaking to me other manger he believes this actual position will be going to someone in the same dept but in a different state... Conflicting reports from management, and its all talk at this point, plus any raises at current company are 6 months away if they are approved...
    There is actually another cyber security position they are opening up in my dept, and I have been nominated to lead that position. The thing is, management and who you actually talk to all have a different story. I heard the raise and this position is coming down to me and I'll be the one this position is being offered to we are just waiting for HR at this point and the company upper management/directors to approve this. The thing is, after speaking to me other manger he believes this actual position will be going to someone in the same dept but in a different state... Conflicting reports from management, and its all talk at this point, plus any raises at current company are 6 months away if they are approved...

I’ve been there. trust me. Unless you have the position, assume you don’t and proceed as such. i was in your position and the best thing i could have done was move on. I only stayed because i was comfortable and thought i would get that promotion that was supposed to be coming. Stayed way too long. Left and nearly tripled my salary as well as learned a ton! Always look out for yourself and your career first. be selfish. If you aren’t moving forward where you are, do something about that.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wait...did you interview for the position yet, or were you just contacted about the role? If not, then it's not an offer...

and how is no required OT or on-call a con????
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□

I see nothing wrong with a 6-9 month contract that will boost skills and pay.
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    wait...did you interview for the position yet, or were you just contacted about the role? If not, then it's not an offer...

and how is no required OT or on-call a con????

I'll know in a few days, waiting for them right now but its a long process. Its a govt job with an extended contract, 6+ months ongoing contract but there might be a chance to hire full time. The issue will be the clearance level and how long it takes to go through the investigation to get a clearance, they also wanted to know about my credit background, finances, any issues from the past etc.. they said they can have me working early December but the full background check takes a very long time. i don't know what I'm going to do right now..
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its a govt job with an extended contract, 6+ months ongoing contract but there might be a chance to hire full time.

So your giving up a full time job for a contracting gig? How do the benefits compare?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    So your giving up a full time job for a contracting gig? How do the benefits compare?

I just did the same exact thing. Left a full time for a contracting role. I get 31% increase in pay and touch new technology that I would never have with my previous employer.