Security for law enforcement

RichardPRichardP Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I recently joined an investigative law enforcement agency and I'm looking to move into cyber investigations and digital forensics, but I honestly don't know where to start. While I don't have any certificates, I do have enough knowledge to do well on the A+ and others.

Any insight on where I should start would definitely be helpful

Thanks

Comments

• xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Crawl, walk, run. Start at the beginning of cyber security and that is either Security+ or the SSCP.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you a commissioned officer?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What's your position and what is your current experience?

I definitely agree you should go for A+. From there I would focus on operating systems and how they work. In an investigation you will need to know where to look and what to look for. That would require knowing an operating system inside and out. Also learning how what you do changes things within the system. Then I would begin to review for Security+ and whatever specific forensic software your agency uses.

Final note, speak with your agency and investigators in the unit you want to be in. They should be able to provide you with what your agency would require training wise (as well as what they would pay for) and give you some guidance on how you should proceed.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • RichardPRichardP Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you a commissioned officer?

I'm an investigator with peace officer status in NY
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second the advice above. Start with A+, I personally would not waste my time with Network+ and go straight for CCNA Routing & Switching, and finally Security+ or SSCP. Both Security+ and SSCP fulfill DODi8570. The organization which offers SSCP, ISC^2, has a digital forensics certification, I believe it is called CCFP.

@RichardP, thank you for your Service!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From where you are, you have to evaluate what your position is in the agency. Do you even have a chance at doing cyber investigations? Forensics is hard to get into because the federal schools have very competitive admissions, and many agencies don't see a need to do them in-house.

If you are actually able to do this, you should look at getting your agency to send you to training with NW3C, NCFI, and FLETC. And of course, the crown jewel of criminal digital forensics is getting into IACIS and getting certified as a CFCE which is a relatively involved process. A+, Net+, and Sec+ will be very helpful for you to understand the material.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you are a veteran, check out Fed-VTE, they have some forensics and investigation courses. free if you served
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke