Logging Monitor

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
When doing a sh log, I can see there is a monitor logging configured.

I know that console logging is send to the physical console port, en that buffer logging is sent to the memory of the Switch/Router, and trap logging is sent to a Syslog server. Where is the data going if logging Monitor is configured??

Comments

• ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I believe that's when it's sent to a telnet/ssh session. For example when you telnet/ssh into a device you won't see debug or logging in real time until you type in term on (terminal monitor).
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Ah, strange that these 2 have a different name, why not call the the command monitor logging, it seems to be confusing.
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I swear Cisco throws some curve balls to catch us off guard :D . Two examples I can think of are wildcard masks and etherchannel commands (everything is port channel or channel group until you get to the show etherchannel commands).
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    I swear Cisco throws some curve balls to catch us off guard :D . Two examples I can think of are wildcard masks and etherchannel commands (everything is port channel or channel group until you get to the show etherchannel commands).

This!!!! I was looking and looking and suddenly it hit me these must be the same, but different in configuring and when looking at in the output. You example really hits the nail.

Fortunately they now call it portchannel in NX-OS, thank god.