Linux+ - Progress thread pt 2 (LX0-104)

13»

Comments

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The thanks are mine! You now have a lifetime cert, sir! Don't suppose I could talk you out of those practice exam/test questions and any cheatsheets/links you used that haven't been posted yet, maybe?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    The thanks are mine! You now have a lifetime cert, sir! Don't suppose I could talk you out of those practice exam/test questions and any cheatsheets/links you used that haven't been posted yet, maybe?

My study resources included:

PenguinTutor Linux LPI practice exams (LPI202 and 102)
    Robb Tracy's book / practice q's in book
    Robb Tracy's cd-rom - has Total Tester with a load of questions (this was very useful)
    Bresnahan's CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide, Third Edition
    Bresnahan's practice exam

In short: I read both books. I did every single practice question and read the questions I got wrong, and figured out why I was wrong. I did it over and over so it was engrained in me. For example, if you asked me how to view a mail queue, I could instantly say 'the mailq command will show what's in the queue. If there is nothing, you will still get a message saying no mail'.

A big thing is having two VMs. I had one ubuntu and one OpenSUSE. I would use systemctl to setup openSSH and share public keys, add them to the keyring, display the keys, revoke keys etc I set up CUPS and knew the port number it used etc.

A combination of reading, practical work and extensive practice questions and reviewing answers you got wrong will help you pass this! Hope this helps!
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    si20 wrote: »
    My study resources included:

PenguinTutor Linux LPI practice exams (LPI202 and 102)
    Robb Tracy's book / practice q's in book
    Robb Tracy's cd-rom - has Total Tester with a load of questions (this was very useful)
    Bresnahan's CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide, Third Edition
    Bresnahan's practice exam

In short: I read both books. I did every single practice question and read the questions I got wrong, and figured out why I was wrong. I did it over and over so it was engrained in me. For example, if you asked me how to view a mail queue, I could instantly say 'the mailq command will show what's in the queue. If there is nothing, you will still get a message saying no mail'.

A big thing is having two VMs. I had one ubuntu and one OpenSUSE. I would use systemctl to setup openSSH and share public keys, add them to the keyring, display the keys, revoke keys etc I set up CUPS and knew the port number it used etc.

A combination of reading, practical work and extensive practice questions and reviewing answers you got wrong will help you pass this! Hope this helps!

I am reading:
    Robb Tracy's All in One Exam Guide - ISBN # 9780071841689
    &
    CompTIA's 3rd Ed - Bresnaham & Blum - ISBN # 9781119021216
    Will definitely go thru all questions in these books.
    I also bought CertMaster LX0-103 questions (over 700 questions) for $140...but I'm not ready to take the exam yet, but when I do, I will buy the bundle (CertMaster LX0-104 questions, Test voucher, and retake voucher)
    VM wise, I have 2 VM's with Ubuntu & CentOS that I am using to practice cmds/switches
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    I can say that you're definitely doing everything right. Keep up the good work and I'll check in and follow your progress! I have no doubt you'll pass with flying colours!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, dude. Glad to see your hard work paid off.
  • espi_251espi_251 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Si20 congratulations bud! 800/800 just wow! I wish we could talk about the exams but nonetheless well done! Best of luck with everything!

shochan, you should have purchased certmaster as it is probably one of the worst preparation guides for this exam. I would strongly recommend get your money back if it's not too late and stick to the books and practice exams. Certmaster got it all wrong with Linux+ guide.
    espi_251 wrote: »
    Si20 congratulations bud! 800/800 just wow! I wish we could talk about the exams but nonetheless well done! Best of luck with everything!

shochan, you should have purchased certmaster as it is probably one of the worst preparation guides for this exam. I would strongly recommend get your money back if it's not too late and stick to the books and practice exams. Certmaster got it all wrong with Linux+ guide.

Have you used their demo software? It's CompTIA's exam, so why wouldn't you not consider using it since Linux+ is a CompTIA exam? It may not be exactly the best method to study but there are limited studying resources for the Linux+ exam, except for books and actually working on different distros of Linux. How did they get it all wrong, please elaborate. Not everyone likes CompTIA exams/study material, but I want to make damn sure I pass it the first time, so I try to use as many study resources as possible. There are plenty of "mediocre" study tools, and maybe CertMaster is one of them, but from what I have used it has been a good learning experience.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats si20 and amazing score! How are things going on the job front?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats si20 and amazing score! How are things going on the job front?

I've got a number of applications in the pipeline, i'm just hoping that potential employers will see i've been studying this cert and have now passed it. Surely that has got to count for something! And thanks! It's a great way to see out 2016 icon_smile.gif
    si20 wrote: »
    I've got a number of applications in the pipeline, i'm just hoping that potential employers will see i've been studying this cert and have now passed it. Surely that has got to count for something! And thanks! It's a great way to see out 2016 icon_smile.gif

Be sure to update your resume on the job boards - usually recruiters will review/notice new resume uploads. At least that is what I have noticed whenever I would update mine on CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster.
    shochan wrote: »
    Be sure to update your resume on the job boards - usually recruiters will review/notice new resume uploads. At least that is what I have noticed whenever I would update mine on CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster.

That's a good shout! I need to do that now actually!
  • espi_251espi_251 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    espi_251 wrote: »

Hey Shochan,

I apologize, I let my personal feeling for certmaster get in the way. I barely passed my LX-103, I know passing is passing but I wanted to pass with good marks after investing so much time preparing for it, and I strongly believe that was due to certmaster. I made the mistake of spending majority of my time studying certmaster as it helped me retain the material and I used certmaster to make flash cards; whereas I should have spent more time studying the, CompTIA Linux+ / LPIC-1 Cert Guide: by Ross Brunson (Author), Sean Walberg, study guide as it was the only reason I passed the exam. There were SO MANY questions that certmaster didn't even cover in their modules. I was extremely disappointed and angry with myself. For that very reason, I didn't even bother logging into certmaster for lx104 exam and passed it with 750 by studying Ross & Sean's study guide and watching CBT nuggets.

What I'm trying to convey is that you please spend your time in books and less time on certmaster. I have told the same thing to my friends that if they are going to pursue Linux+ cert, just stay the heck away from certmaster and stick with the book I mentioned above.

One more tip for you, make sure you understand how to use the nice/renice, especially when/how to use the hyphen. It's not an easy exam because of memorization, but you can pass it if you invest enough time memorizing the switches and understand the other material. Also, make sure you spend time in vi practicing the keys and know the directories that are listed on the exam objective.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Don't forget allow Comptia sent your result to LPIC. You will receive LPIC-1 automatically for free.
  • jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's really a great news. Congratulation!. I have also scheduled my LX0-104 exam and preparing for it using uCertify online course. What study material are you using?