2 VLAN on same switch to a firewall

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
I don't understand why a switch needs 2 VLAN to the same firewall.

Device outside (VLAN X) === Firewall ==== Device inside (VLAN Y)

In my case, the inside device has vlan X and Y configured on it. Why?

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Check out some of the entries on VLANs and firewalls here:
    http://tinyurl.com/zz8bfzf
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I'm not sure I understand the question. It seems like you are asking why one side of the firewall needs to be segregated from the other side of the firewall.

Is the inside device with VLAN X+Y a switch? Because if that's the case, then logically, you could think of them as two separate switches. The only way for data to flow between the VLANs is with a layer 3 device. You could, in theory, set up an end point (eg a server) connected to a trunk to the switch and have access to the two VLANs on two different 'virtual' interfaces.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    I see. In that case may I ask if a firewall is a purely layer 2 device or does it have layer 3 properties as well? (like an L3 switch)
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    dppagc wrote: »
    I see. In that case may I ask if a firewall is a purely layer 2 device or does it have layer 3 properties as well? (like an L3 switch)

Usually firewalls operate at layer 3 - connecting to various subnets -, however there are layer 2 firewalls which are also called transparent or bridging firewalls. Some firewalls can be configured to work in either mode.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Are there firewalls that accept routing protocols? In my network, it seems that only static routes are accepted.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    Are there firewalls that accept routing protocols? In my network, it seems that only static routes are accepted.

Yes, typically firewalls will also support dynamic routing protocols
    It seems that my checkpoint firewall only accepts static routes