How not to miss phone calls/texts for work

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
Emails I see right away, IM's I see right away, since both are on a giant screen in front of me. But I miss texts all the time. If I don't hear the initial alert from my phone, the only way I'll know I got a text or a call is to pick it up, power up the screen, and check. Unlike a computer monitor, the phone screen stays black by default.

So how do you guys not miss important phone notifications? I hate having to pick the thing up every few minutes to check and see if I missed something.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    There's a plethora of apps that do this. One Android example is "Missed Call Text Reminder". Works for missed calls, Skype. What'sApp, etc.
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wear an activity tracker (Xiaomi Mi Band 2) and it buzzes for incoming calls and texts.

EDITED TO ADD:

It will also display the mobile number of the incoming call or text.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • ThePuterGeekThePuterGeek Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Fitbit Charge will alert to texts as well, but only for iOS devices.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    yup, this is where a SmartWatch will shine. And depending on your phone, you may be able to set a specific person or number as a unique alert. Like a super long buzz, etc
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wear a FitBit that will alert me when I have a call or text. It's annoying when my wife spam texts me during meetings, though.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should be able to set your alerts to a visual reminder. My daughter has all incoming texts flash her camera's light. Strobe effect...always makes me duck.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As said above, there are applications to help with that, but honestly I set the expectation on the communication method.

You can text me, but don't if its important. IM or Call me when immediate response is required, email can work well during business hours as well.

Communication is even better driven through a good presence function. That way communication methods can be adjusted as needed.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    You should be able to set your alerts to a visual reminder. My daughter has all incoming texts flash her camera's light. Strobe effect...always makes me duck.

I've seen plenty of people with that setup.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just be like everyone else under 50 and stare at your phone all day