Options

CISSP as a next step?

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been in IT since 97, holding a number of different jobs from helpdesk, desktop, server/virtualization admin. I'm currently a network engineer. Not at this very moment, but soon, I want to advance my career further, and the area I've been most interested in, is security.

For the past few months, I've been working on the CCNP Security certification. I passed 1 of the 4 exams in October, which renewed my other cisco certs (CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA DC). My initial thought process was complete the CCNP Security and then go for the CISSP. I'm having second thoughts now, because I'm wondering if the CCNP Security is necessary/beneficial for my career. At my current employer, I support cisco switches/routers, but our firewalls are Palo Alto. We don't use ISE yet, but hopefully, it's in the works for early 2017.

I'm considering jumping straight to CISSP. Maybe even get certified in Palo Alto first since I use them daily, to add a firewall cert to my resume.

If anyone has any opinions, I welcome them. Happy Holiday!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    If you have the verifiable InfoSec work history to get the full CISSP cert then you might as well go for it. The temporary switch from highly technical subject matter to more business-oriented topics might be a good vacation for your brain too. :)
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure my experience qualifies. At my current employer, where I've been for 10+ years, at different times, I have been responsible for endpoint security (AV, MS Updates), BC/DR planning/testing, firewall + network security.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    If you have the verifiable InfoSec work history to get the full CISSP cert then you might as well go for it. The temporary switch from highly technical subject matter to more business-oriented topics might be a good vacation for your brain too. :)

Lol. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. After finishing my CISSP/CASP/CSA+ this year and GPEN this month, I'm eager to get back to turning the wrench on something. My brain has been drinking the business Kool aid, now I need to get back to the technical bourbon.
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Lol. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. After finishing my CISSP/CASP/CSA+ this year and GPEN this month, I'm eager to get back to turning the wrench on something. My brain has been drinking the business Kool aid, now I need to get back to the technical bourbon.

4 certifications this year? You really kept busy!

I've been focused on the technical side for so long, I think JD is accurate, my brain might enjoy the vacation. For me, I'm also trying to consider what time is best spent on and also the ROI. I think CISSP is a good choice.

FirwPOWER and ISE are the main reasons why I was going the CCNP Sec route, but I can still learn them without sitting for exams. I might actually learn more about them that way, since I won't be strictly focusing on the blueprint
  • Options
    80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I say go for it . Worst thing is that you learn something that you did not know. There is also the added bonus of CISSP being a highly recognized certification. Even if you don't "Live in security world" it should still add value.
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP