Options

SANS on the stock market?

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if SANS is privately held or if they have a stock market offering somewhere?

Comments

• Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a private company.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The rates they are charging, they will soon own the stock market.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do the math for some of their bigger conferences sometime..... A very lucrative business that nobody else has managed to crack yet.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A very lucrative business that nobody else has managed to crack yet

I thought about it, but I'm not a business guy.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well the key is getting your certifications recognized by a big organization, like the Department of Defense. Not sure what the vetting process is to get certifications accepted, but once accepted by the DOD, you can charge pretty much what ever you want to people will pay it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Some of the smaller training companies specializing in CISSP bootcamps are trying to get vetted by applying for university accreditation. That opens doors to gov money too.

I'd toyed with the idea of teaching evening or weekend classes for Security+ using Darril Gibson's book as the primary textbook. But I don't want to deal with irate folks didn't pass (not thru fault of the content taught).icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Prefer they stay private. Listed companies are "required" (i.e. under pressure) to increase revenue every quarter. They can do this by increasing price or conducting more classes. Most of us like SANS for their quality of training and excellent instructors. Good experience trainers are difficult to find and we do not want SANS to lower their standards. Next thing we know, your SANS favourite training will be selling at $10 K per pax.
  • Options
    Very true about quality trainers.

I inquired about the mentorship program when I went thru GCIH and the instructor told us about the problems SANS has had with it.

Basically, they pick people who have great test scores. Problem is someone who knows the material and passes with a great test score is not necessarily the best person to teach (communication, personality, enthusiasm, etc.).

SANS will go thru great expense to rescue a bad class. They will fly out their proven trainers if a mentor driven class gets too many complaints.