Certification Renewal Suggestion

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way for me to renew my A+, as it expires September 24th this year. I am enrolled in a Cisco Netacad course as part of my college curriculum which focuses on the CCENT, and if I decide to retake it this year, it can renew my A+. However, I saw that CompTIA has a new RC0-903 exam which is basically a Bridging exam between the 800 and 900 exam series. I don't really see the point in getting Network+ as Cisco is more helpful in job searches.

If you let your certification expire, it has no use regardless of when you took it right?
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could take the RC0-903. You can take it at the comfort of your home and no web cam is needed. I took it and passed and my A+ was renewed for another 3 years. I would renew just in case because when you apply for jobs HR depts uses software that searches for keywords and having CompTIA A+ in your resume will increase your chances of getting picked for a call.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While the Net+ doesn't hold the value that CCNA does, retaking the A+ exam doesn't have a ton of value either. In my opinion, I'd rather have the renewed A+ plus the Net+ than to retake the A+ exam, even if it is only a bridging one. And the Net+ certainly isn't worthless, should be fairly easy with your CCENT/CCNA experience.
    Fayz wrote: »
    I would renew just in case because when you apply for jobs HR depts uses software that searches for keywords and having CompTIA A+ in your resume will increase your chances of getting picked for a call.

If your only concern is passing an HR filter and you don't have anything else to pad your resume, you could still list your A+ as being expired. You worked hard for the cert and still have the majority of the experience. Employers should recognize that, and if nothing else meet the text search.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Why don't you go for your security +? That holds more weight than the A+ and N+ combined. And it will renew your A+. No use in taking an exam just to renew. May as well use that time to go for something that will indeed have value. I was looking at a rackspace job that had Network + and Security + on the preferred qualifications.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why don't you go for your security +? That holds more weight than the A+ and N+ combined. And it will renew your A+. No use in taking an exam just to renew. May as well use that time to go for something that will indeed have value. I was looking at a rackspace job that had Network + and Security + on the preferred qualifications.
    Good suggestion but in my area, there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for Security at the moment. Plus, $320.00 is 2x more than what my A+ costed.

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nafe92014 wrote: »
    Good suggestion but in my area, there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for Security at the moment. Plus, $320.00 is 2x more than what my A+ costed.

Only $145 for students
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nafe92014 wrote: »

Security+ will look good for pretty much any job you go into. Not just security specific positions... Unless you work for companies that don't use any security features/practices to protect their data. icon_silent.gif
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    I believe if you take the Network+ or Security+ it will auto renew everything else. I have both and if you're a junior guy you'll find the Network+ exam easier & having more relevance to a junior role. Then you're good for another 3 years.

I find the Comptia exams REALLY expensive & they shouldn't be. These are junior level exams & designed for guys new to the industry. The high costs of the exams is detrimental to junior techs as they often can't afford them. If you're listening or reading this Comptia, please think about that. A+ should cost $99.00.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CompTIA only requires you to focus on renewing your highest-level cert. So if you have A+ and Net+, you only have to worry about Net+. Get Sec+ afterwards, just focus on that. I do agree that their costs are very high, even though they are a non-profit organization. With the level of difficulty their certs are now, I have a hard time calling them "entry-level."
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, the costs are outrageous. Reason I'd just take the Rc0-903 is because it's only $100 USD. I definitely cannot afford to take the N+ ($250) or the Sec+ ($350) because of the price. As someone whom has 2 years of experience, the CCENT makes more sense for my next cert because it's $150 and when I pass my NetaCad courses, we get a 50% vouncher for the CCENT or CCNA exam.

My A+ expires on September 24th of this year, so I have time to decide.

It's hard to find on CompTIA's website, but passing the CCENT will renew your A+.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-a

If you were going to spend the additional money, I would go for that instead... UNLESS you have to pay for the CE renewal fees as well.

EDIT: I just re-read your original post and saw that you already mentioned this. :D
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    It's hard to find on CompTIA's website, but passing the CCENT will renew your A+.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-a

Glad you reminded me of other certs renewing Comptia ones. Just put the last couple certs I got in on the Comptia site and it renewed all my Comptia certs. It says my certs don't expire until 2021 now... Thought they had to be renewed every 2 years. Ah well, I'll take it!
    Glad you reminded me of other certs renewing Comptia ones. Just put the last couple certs I got in on the Comptia site and it renewed all my Comptia certs. It says my certs don't expire until 2021 now... Thought they had to be renewed every 2 years. Ah well, I'll take it!

SCORE! It's always good when something unexpected ends up saving you a ton of money. And you didn't even have to switch to Geico.