DOD jobs for prior service

amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have another question for any other veterans out there. I took the advice of other prior service members on this forum and applied for a few DoD contracting jobs after passing NET+ and SEC+ (this week). I wanted to first say thanks for the people who recommended indeed jobs and obtaining the SEC+ cert because you were right it opens up MANY doors into the contracting world. But my next question is, although right now I have these certs and no experience, does it make sense to pass a DOD 8570 level III cert like CASP or should I take a IT service desk job at a base in Hawaii (my home) for $40,000? I feel like CASP/Level III would open up more doors and increase salary, but will having no experience limit me? Maybe just settle for help desk job that is being offered right now and gain experience and afterwards go for a Level III cert? I dunno. Anyone with any advice or similar experience/background is appreciated.

Comments

• ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    First, the lack of experience probably does hurt a little. But other than that what clearances, if any, do you have? There are several different factors that go into acquiring a job in the government sector, but the two main are clearances and experience. Ofcourse you cannot get experience without actually working it so you have to start somewhere. I don't think $40k is alot in Hawaii, as I doubt I personally would go to Hawaii for that little amount. But, I guess you'll have to start somewhere with little to no experience and most folks start at some type of service desk type job.
  • amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. Yeah I think your right about the experience factor. I had a TS/SCI but now only my Secret is active. Many of the jobs I have been offered are about $40,000 starting pay for jr IT jobs regardless of where you live. Oh well, gotta start somewhere.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    You wouldn't survive with 40k a year in Hawaii unless you stay in a tent on the beach with all the other struggling or out of work Vets. DoD contracting all you need is a clearance, Sec+ and a pulse and your in for a helpdesk role. You could get your IAT III cert (CASP), but you will need to grind it out on the helpdesk for at least 6 months if you have no prior experience. I have a guy right now with a C|EH and a CASP on the helpdesk, he needs to grind it out first before he gets picked up. Do not discount your professional networking skills, plays a bigger role than you think.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    Ha. Yeah, Hawaii is crazy expensive and I would have to move back in with my mom and dad just to make ends meet on that salary which is not ideal at my age. I think I will just move stateside and grind it out at a helpdesk in Texas or something where I can survive on 40k and try to look down the line for a NOC position or something after gaining some hands on experience. Thanks.
    amurica wrote: »
    Ha. Yeah, Hawaii is crazy expensive and I would have to move back in with my mom and dad just to make ends meet on that salary which is not ideal at my age. I think I will just move stateside and grind it out at a helpdesk in Texas or something where I can survive on 40k and try to look down the line for a NOC position or something after gaining some hands on experience. Thanks.

If you have family close to the work site, I would take it, save on rent and get experience. I was under the impression you would have to look for a place to live. Get a weekend shift helpdesk role and grind out your studies while you get experience on the "floor". You will get picked up in no time.
    Reading
    Sounds good. Im curious now, when you say "get picked up in no time" what are you referring to? A NOC analyst position or maybe more? Im new to the IT world and I guess I am just starting to realize that SEC+ and a clearance is really a "powerful" tool for finding jobs, much more than what I would have thought.
    Most people who are new to IT will have to start out in the helpdesk. Prior service has the advantage of having a secret clearance which is required by most DoD IT roles. You need to secret clearance to touch servers (IAT II). having the right credentials (certs/degree) plus experience will get you moved out of the helpdesk and put on a different team (picked up). That could be networking, security, desktop, name it, the possibilities are endless, just depends where you want to focus on.

Now it's not as easy as it sounds, but you need the 3 pillars of certs, experience and a degree.

Just narrow down your focus, get into a IT gig as fast as possible to build experience and build up your portfolio (certs/degree/projects)
    Reading
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    I think you'll be good after a short stint of help desk work, I know it's not ideal and everyone wants people to have the cert, experience, clearances, etc. when applying for a job but for those just starting it's difficult. I was a 33W/35T when I was enlisted prior to getting selected for Warrant. When the above poster says "getting picked up," he means getting hired, lol... I've entered the civilian side after retiring last year and walked right into a job based on my work in the Army, which was a stretch but worded correctly lined up with what I was applying for. But I had an active TS, and certs, and experience. So my case was a tad bit different. You'll be okay, hang in there.
    Hey thanks for your advice. Yeah my TS is expired which is such a deal breaker, so much more than I anticipated!!! You can have the qualifications, but if your TS is out of scope or whatever its called, it feels like no companies want you. However, my Secret clearance is still good to go so that along with SEC+ opens doors. And I think you guys are totally right, I have had a few interviews and I continually am told that help desk is usually the starting point, which is completely understandable from a hiring managers perspective.
    NP.

Referencing your TS, if you had no break of over 30 days of employment, your TS will be a renewal versus a initial investigation, something to think about.

If you have a secret and Sec+ and in the Dallas Fort Worth Area, inbox me. I'm hiring.
    Reading