CCNA Security Exam Cram

crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if anyone hear has passed the CCNA security using the Exam Cram book? Or has anyone had the chance to compare the exam cram book to the Cisco Press book? Just wondering being the impulse shopper that I am I seen the Exam Cram book at the book store, but not the Cisco Press book so I went ahead and bought the Exam Cram book. I just hate the title "Exam Cram" because it just gives me the impression that the book helps you pass a test as opposed to actually learning security. I have a couple of routers capable of running SDM with advanced security features so as always I know that will be helpful.

Comments

• Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMHO the Exam Cram book not nearly as useful as the Cisco Press book. YMMV.

First and foremost, CBT Nuggets was the most useful resource I used.
    An SDM-capable lab router with a zone-firewall capable IOS image the second most useful.
    Cisco Press book third most useful.
    The Exam Cram book brought up the rear.

This was my experience. Everyone learns differently so you might have a different experience.
  • luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Although I havent sat the exam I have done a bit of reading and labbing for it using the following materials:
    CBT Nuggets
    2x 2600XM routers + 2x 2950 switches
    Exam Cram
    Cisco Press Exam cert guide

I do have to disagree with Fish! in that I think (so far) that the Exam cram books is better than the Cisco press book.. I really dislike reading the Cisco press book because it is ridled with errors (I can handle some typos but I really dislike it when the author has made typos in configs [the Site-to-Site VPN chapter is the worst for this])

But yeah the CBT Nuggets + labware has been the most useful so far
  • luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    If you have real switch hardware and a distro of linux lying around maybe have a look at a program called Yersinia @ Yersinia is a network tool designed to take advantage of some weakeness in different network protocols.

Its a pretty cool switch penetration testing tool which is used frequently in a book by Cisco Press called LAN Switch Security: What hackers know about your switches (or something like that)
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I haven't read the exam cram yet I'm about 3/4 through the cisco press book now and I have enjoyed it. Well aside from the AAA chapter....anyway I would read the exam cram and the cisco press both together should be what you need for the exam. With some lab time of course but you already knew that :D
  • crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the cisco press book anyways. Although I probally won't be able to get the CBT Nuggets security videos on my help desk salary I got to say the CCNA videos on subnetting are probally the best learning material out there for someone trying to learn subnetting hands down so I imagine the security video is excellent. Also Yersinia looks pretty cool besides Cisco I am a little bit of a Linux Junkie. I look forward to trying to destroy my lab with it and I will try to drop a fork bomb on my web server for good measure.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    crisb20 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone hear has passed the CCNA security using the Exam Cram book?

Not sure of the quality of the material they present, but i can tell you the practice tests suck.

Pick the correct answer, A, B, C, C, I've seen this error multiple times.

Just had a review question at the end of Chapter 10, True or False, and the was answer is C. what?

Another end chapter 8, question 10, practice test answer was C. "It uses DHCP snooping ..."
    I'm like what, was that covered, look at the index in the back of the book, not even listed. Then they explain the why, it is looks a lot like answer D that I selected.

Not sure who proof read his book, must have been a 5 year old. I had a lot of luck with Exam Cram books for the A+ and Network+ exams, but I think I'll avoid them in the future. The CCNA Router and Switching by Todd Lammle was a much better book in my opinion, but I like to read more than one book on the same subject, sometimes another authors way of explaining things clicks better.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Wow, 8 years...might be one of the finest thread necro's I've seen lol
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Wow, 8 years...might be one of the finest thread necro's I've seen lol

I needed to vent after yet another practice test at the end of a chapter that was screwed up.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Ah I see. What resource are you studying? I've heard the OCG for CCNA-S is garbage.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Ah I see. What resource are you studying? I've heard the OCG for CCNA-S is garbage.

Actually, I'm just studying for my CCENT, this was the first thread I saw about Exam Cram books. I didn't notice it was the CCNA Security forum till after I posted.

I'm using
    31 days before your CCENT Certification Exam by Allan Johnson from Cicso
    Flash cards from Cisco
    CCNA Routing and Switching by Todd Lammie
    CCNA Exam Cram