Upsilon Pi Epsilon - worth joining?

This is, apparently, the only honor society for the computing and information disciplines. It's recognized by the IEEE.

It sounds like a money grab, though. Is it really worth joining if you've been invited?
"It's so stimulating being your hat!"
"... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."

Comments

• TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    You can buy a license plate frame for your car when you join lol

Is it just to show that you're a good student with a grad GPA over 3.5?
    Ask about any benefits like what they provide for the PMI chapters or membership.
  • fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    You can buy a license plate frame for your car when you join lol

Is it just to show that you're a good student with a grad GPA over 3.5?
    Ask about any benefits like what they provide for the PMI chapters or membership.

Ah,goodsuggestions.I'llseewhattheyofferasbenefits.Myspacekeyisbroken,dammit.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think they are just money grabs. I had Golden Key hound me about joining while in college. They tried to make it seem like it was really exclusive and time-limited, but after the offer expired they kept on sending me letters to join.
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I think they are just money grabs. I had Golden Key hound me about joining while in college. They tried to make it seem like it was really exclusive and time-limited, but after the offer expired they kept on sending me letters to join.

Good to know. Why is my space key working again? Today has been bizarre.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The space bar thing seems random on only this forum and only in replies. Sometimes I have to back up to the first available character and the bar works again, sometimes it doesn't at all and I just delete my reply and move on. Very odd, never seen it anywhere else.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    The space bar thing seems random on only this forum and only in replies. Sometimes I have to back up to the first available character and the bar works again, sometimes it doesn't at all and I just delete my reply and move on. Very odd, never seen it anywhere else.

Now it's even more bizarre! Thanks for the info.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was inducted into Upsilon Pi Epsilon the year I graduated. It provided absolutely no value whatsoever to me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It was a waste of $50 for me. I think it came with online access to the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) articles library or something like that. Never read any of those articles though--already have enough books on my to read list to last 3 or 4 lifetimes.

Edit: Now I remember why I signed up. It came with a graduation cap tassel and graduation gown pin that you can wear at the ceremony (which I ended up forgetting to bring in the end anyways). So $50 for two pieces of flair basically.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP