Options

What do you need to break into IT in the denver Colorado area PART time

TheNullVoidTheNullVoid Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
So,many of you know me here

-I have a job that pays decently(19 an hour). I dont want to just leave this job and jump fulltime into an IT related position. I have zero IT experience

-Will be taking the 902 in a few weeks. Ill pass it

-I am looking for a weekend IT related gig to slowly build experience. I'm worried I might not make it in IT. So, I want to have my main job to fall back on if that's the case. I work for a REALLY good company. I don't want to enter IT and fail with NO job.

-Im willing to volunteer on the weekends to gain experience. I applied at a non-profit for an IT related gig...No response

Should I just focus on finishing my A+?

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Volunteering is definitely the way to go with no experience and not being willing to go full-time. Private schools, churches and many small non-profits are the area you're looking at here. Be prepared to show value, these places can't afford screw-ups, don't give them a reason to think you'll cause one.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheNullVoid - I would focus on your A+ and get it knocked out. Just as EANx said, places you can volunteer at will want to see that you are going to provide value to their organization. As such, consider building your credibility through blogging or other projects. The Denver area has a pretty competitive volunteer pool, so non-profits can be selective. Don't be surprised to get rejected.

One possible hindrance to the part-time experience is that most part-time IT positions in the Denver area are retailers (Best Buy/Geek Squad, Apple, etc). You could volunteer to teach IT related subjects to people at community centers as they provide a lot of flexibility. You might inquire at the Denver library (or whichever library you are closest to) to see if they need any part-time help. If you are comfortable with it craigslist might also be helpful in your search.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    TheNullVoidTheNullVoid Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    TheNullVoid - I would focus on your A+ and get it knocked out. Just as EANx said, places you can volunteer at will want to see that you are going to provide value to their organization. As such, consider building your credibility through blogging or other projects. The Denver area has a pretty competitive volunteer pool, so non-profits can be selective. Don't be surprised to get rejected.

One possible hindrance to the part-time experience is that most part-time IT positions in the Denver area are retailers (Best Buy/Geek Squad, Apple, etc). You could volunteer to teach IT related subjects to people at community centers as they provide a lot of flexibility. You might inquire at the Denver library (or whichever library you are closest to) to see if they need any part-time help. If you are comfortable with it craigslist might also be helpful in your search.

I

I will knock it out then. Would the Microsoft Store be good to work for?
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi TheNullVoid. I'm in northern Colorado Springs so just a short drive from Denver. The ISSA Denver chapter is the largest in the world, Colorado Springs' chapter is the 2nd largest. Together those chapters have 1000 members. You might check into joining and volunteering with them. That's what I did just a few months ago and I've meet a lot of people already and I'm volunteering with the CS chapter. I know there are other organizations like ISC2 and Rocky Mountain AFCEA that you could join too. You can PM if you want to.