Regretting job move?

SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently a security engineer at a SOC and I'm at the point where I've become complacent at this job and there isn't many directions to move up, its either keep doing the same thing day in and day out or move onto another company. Been offered another role but It looks like more of a network engineer/design role and I'm working on coming on board but honestly, not sure If I made the right decision. The pay is a 30k increase and brings me up to 85k, which I'm comfortable with for now however, the role change from working at a SOC and being a Security engineer down to a network engineer seems kind of an odd change. As far as asking current company for more money, no other engineer was given a raise and they left last year. We lost three engineers last year, and will be losing a few more this year as two other engineers are planning to leave my current employer. I haven't told anyone yet, so waiting on final word before moving over

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Titles don't mean much and really have to consider what the job duties are to determine if you would like a position. Network engineers at my company do a lot of security as well.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, if you want to stay in security, I don't know how the title of security engineer works in your company but in most places that role should get significantly more than 55K a year. Maybe just look around more since you're already employed?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Also, if you want to stay in security, I don't know how the title of security engineer works in your company but in most places that role should get significantly more than 55K a year. Maybe just look around more since you're already employed?
    Guessing it's more of a SOC Analyst position rather than an actual Engineer. He should be making twice that at least, depending on the responsibilities.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Guessing it's more of a SOC Analyst position rather than an actual Engineer. He should be making twice that at least, depending on the responsibilities.

Unfortunatley it is a title of security engineer but we don't have much if anything to do with vulnerability management/patching or even investigating threats. We have another dept for that and all we do is really manage network equipement and other proprietary systems/end point software. The problem is this company will not give you access/training to other equipment and services you want to manage so I'm at the point I would rather just leave. Doing more research on the role I would be taking over in the new company seems like a nice bump in the career path. Also, the actual salary after bonuses is 57k which is still very low in this field, but I'm more than thankful for the experience this job has thought me, it just isn't worth running multiple projects and working in the middle of the night when you don't even get paid overtime and your days might be 10+ hours, only get paid for 8 hours icon_sad.gif

I'm burned out and stuck in a job that won't pay more...
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The pay is a 30k increase and brings me up to 85k, which I'm comfortable with for now however, the role change from working at a SOC and being a Security engineer down to a network engineer seems kind of an odd change.

Some people like to be paid in titles, others in money; banks are great at making everyone a VP. I'd suggest that any role that results in a pay raise of more than 50% isn't going down. Of course, if you want to stay in security, don't take it. But ultimately, the important thing isn't the title, it's what you were responsible for and what you learned.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Get your CISSP and find another Security job. No reason to move to a network job if you want to be in Security
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE