Options

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited September 2019 in GIAC

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can use it! I'll PM you! Congrats on passing!

Anything you can share about SANS exams without violating NDA?

:)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hey, passing is passing. Congrats!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the practice exam!! :) Happy Holidays!! :)

What is next from SANS?
  • Options
    No problem! icon_thumright.gif Probably just gonna depend what Work Study I can get into next. I'm thinking GCIA or GCED if I could choose.

Might be time to go after the CISSP for my next cert tho.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!! I will be looking at challenging that sometime next year.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the club!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I urge you to reconsider GCED. It's just way too basic, especially after doing GCIH. Your time and money will be better invested in GCIA or something else with a narower, more in depth scope.
  • Options
    Thanks cyber, good to know! I really haven't looked too much into it. I thought it was just more of an advanced version of the GSEC and thought it might go deeper. I want to stay more on defense side going forward so thinking maybe GCWN or GMON too.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!! I'm really excited about this course, I'll be taking the live course at SANS Security East in New Orleans in January...can't get here fast enough!
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your GCIH!

I too recommend GCIA over GCED. SEC503 is an awesome course with highly technical knowledge.

I will likely be taking GCIH this coming year, however, I am very tempted to try the GNFA as it is more aligned with my job and continues to build on the foundation of GCIA.

Good luck to you on your future endeavors!
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FillAwful wrote: »
    Congrats on your GCIH!

I too recommend GCIA over GCED. SEC503 is an awesome course with highly technical knowledge.

I will likely be taking GCIH this coming year, however, I am very tempted to try the GNFA as it is more aligned with my job and continues to build on the foundation of GCIA.

Good luck to you on your future endeavors!

Second that! And GNFA indeed is a great one - did that half a year or so after GCIA.
  • Options
    aeonaeonaeonaeon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First of all congratulations to folks who recently completed their GCIH. I have a question for all the folks on this thread. This is my first time posting on this BB. I am a CISSP and run a small IT services co in Denver. We are looking to build our security practice within the co and i am thinking of taking up the GCIH exam in the near future. I was initially thinking of taking up the SeC504 course but the more i read about the relevance of the course i am realizing that it might be better to spend the money somewhere else to train for the exam. Will you all recommend an alternative path to getting the certification other then attending the training.

Thank you and looking forward to your feedback.

Aeon
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Most people will tell you the GIAC exams are pretty difficult if you don't have a ton of experience, or use the official SANS courseware. It's not necessarily that SANS has some crazy unique research that you will never see anywhere else, it's the fact that the information is across a handful of books that they hand you instead of having to invest a lot of hours doing the research yourself. Additionally, the fact that you won't be tested on anything outside of the SANS books allows for your studies to be more focused.

When you say build up your security practice, what does that mean exactly? Are you trying to add penetration testing services, monitoring, infrastructure configuration, security policies within your actual company? The GCIH is geared towards incident handling, so if you have no intention of responding to incidents, you should reconsider the certification choice.
  • Options
    briancam35briancam35 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I have a practice exam? thanks
  • Options
    briancam35briancam35 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what are other excellent books to purchase if you dont have the money to purchase SANS GCIH?
  • Options
    aeonaeonaeonaeon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Techguru80

Thanks for responding. It really helped clarify some of my concerns. By security practice i meant to say exactly what you stated but the focus of the co would be to build a retainer model for offering monitoring, config,policy and also incident handling and response so hence the focus on GCIH. Is there any other course that you would recommend that is more attuned to security consulting and mgmt?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Definitely if you are going to do monitoring, GCIH and GCIA skill sets are going to be needed...does that mean you NEED the courses? Not necessarily but it's going to be very valuable and an easier sell when you go to clients to pitch and actually doing what you say you are doing.

As far as consulting...CISM / CISA are valuable but they are going to be high level so it really depends on how deep in the weeds your service offering goes.

I would say slowly rollout offerings so you can mature them without going crazy...if you try to do everything at once, you probably would fail speaking honestly.
  • Options
    lostsollostsol Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've taken FOR572 GNFA, and it was awesome. Though there were times I wish I knew packet analysis more thoroughly, and now deciding if I should take 503. Any recommendations for 503? Does 503 address how packets are more often encrypted and how to deal with them?