RHCSA course to learn linux, overall?

JacktivatedJacktivated Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Would going through Sander Van Vugt's RHCSA video course help me to learn linux, overall, even if I don't bother getting certified and just want to learn linux so I can create home projects and other cool things?

I have some limited experience with CentOS 7 at work, along with setting up and managing Nagios, and have played around with Ubuntu, Mint, etc as desktop OS's, but I've always wanted to learn more about Linux.

For instance, building out an OpenHAB server on a raspberry pi to set up home automation from scratch; Run an open source virtual pbx, such as Asterisk; Combine this linux knowledge with my CCNA background and get into using some Pentesting tools.

So, if I'm not sure yet if certification is the goal, but still want to learn a lot more about Linux, is there a better learning path to take? Or would going through the RHCSA material still help me achieve all I want, without being overkill?

Please don't advise me to just pick a linux distro and play around until I learn. I've already been doing that and want to dig much deeper.

I do like the video learning method for self-study, such as CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, or Udemy, to name a few. So, if you think Vander's course isn't ideal for my goal, perhaps you can suggest another video series?

Thanks very much, in advance. I am grateful for any help you can provide.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I can't comment on the Sander course. I have his book, but haven't really looked at it yet. He does seem to know what he's talking about.

Linux Academy
    is quite popular, and LinuxFoundation have some more general, hands on certification courses.

The certification courses are worthwhile, since you end up covering a lot of the basics.

What I am finding, though, is that ultimately even at RHCE level, there's a lot of important skills missing which are needed for enterprise. So, things like deployment/management frameworks (ansible, chef, puppet etc) and scripting (Bash and perl/python). I've not seen a really good course which just focuses on system scripting, which is a shame. The book Linux Administration Recipes, is a little out of date but it gives some good starting points.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    @Jacktivated - Yes, Sander's course will teach you the basics and following the RHCSA objectives provides a structured approach to becoming familiar with Linux. Once you cover that material, I suggest checking out the LPIC-2 objectives since they cover a lot of what is required by systems administrators on a daily basis.

@OctalDump - LA has an awesome BASH scripting course that I've recommended on here many times. Also, I agree that RHCE is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of material.
  • JacktivatedJacktivated Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @OctalDump - thank you for the references. I will look into that.

@Verities - thank you, too. I'm glad to hear that it's worth it, whether I'm wanting certify, or just learn linux, in general.

I know this varies depending on the individual, but how long would you say it should take to get through Sander's video course, following along with the lab he has you building and doing the exercises throughout the course? Just trying to get an approximate for long it should take me to learn about Linux.

LPIC-2 ... Thanks. If I go through with the RHCSA, I will definitely head there next.
    @OctalDump - thank you for the references. I will look into that.

@Verities - thank you, too. I'm glad to hear that it's worth it, whether I'm wanting certify, or just learn linux, in general.

I know this varies depending on the individual, but how long would you say it should take to get through Sander's video course, following along with the lab he has you building and doing the exercises throughout the course? Just trying to get an approximate for long it should take me to learn about Linux.

LPIC-2 ... Thanks. If I go through with the RHCSA, I will definitely head there next.

You are very welcome. Sander's complete RHCSA video course is a little over 13 hours long, so you can go through it all fairly quickly. The more you lab, the faster you'll learn things and the more you will understand. I spent about 2-3 months practicing a couple hours a day, before I went for the RHCSA. In my mind that's a practical amount of time to learn the basics if you're spending time on them day in and day out.
    Verities wrote: »
    You are very welcome. Sander's complete RHCSA video course is a little over 13 hours long, so you can go through it all fairly quickly. The more you lab, the faster you'll learn things and the more you will understand. I spent about 2-3 months practicing a couple hours a day, before I went for the RHCSA. In my mind that's a practical amount of time to learn the basics if you're spending time on them day in and day out.

Perfect. Thanks again.

Now I just need to either start studying for the CCNP R/S cert for the next year, or do something different and get into Linux. I've been having a real hard time deciding this, given recent announcements about networking changing and the adoption of cloud, SDN, NV, NFV, etc.

At nearly 44 years old, I guess I want to choose the path that will allow me to be in demand, make good money, and hopefully carry me for many years to come.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    duta74 wrote: »

Wow...thanks. I was not aware there was a new course.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow...thanks. I was not aware there was a new course.
    You are welcome :)
    Sander have a one other beautiful course too, If you want to not only receive a certificate, but also learn how Linux works
    https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/linux-under-the/9780134663500/
  • scottctaylor12scottctaylor12 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are looking to dive deeper with Linux, than I would highly recommend going for the RHCSA. It will explain some of the fundamental knowledge gaps you may currently have. From that point, you can continue working up and get into some of the projects you listed with better understanding. I used Ghori's book to help pass the RHCSA, but I know Sander's is supposed to be pretty good.

The best resource for me was certdepot.net! The guy lists all of the exam objectives AND well written tutorials on how to complete each task. Would highly recommend.
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was considering going through the CBT Nuggets course: https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/linux-centos-system-administrator

Since CentOS is basically the same thing as RedHat, I figure it could be good prep for RHCSA. This is just my theory at present, though.
    9bits wrote: »
    I was considering going through the CBT Nuggets course: https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/linux-centos-system-administrator

Since CentOS is basically the same thing as RedHat, I figure it could be good prep for RHCSA. This is just my theory at present, though.

CentOS is the same as Red Hat without any brand logos. The CBTs are out dated and costly, so I recommend getting free videos from the UrbanPenguin.com and youtube if you really want to go the video route.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As duta74 said, the Linux under the hood video from Sander is a very good one. I watched it almost completely and I learned a lot