Options

CISSP job issues?

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone had trouble getting callbacks after obtaining the CISSP? I officially became a CISSP late December 2016 and added it to my resume right away. I have not even had a return phone call from any companies I have applied to. I have spoke with several recruiters and had them submit me for jobs but I have not even had a phone interview in those 10 weeks. Before I was a CISSP I was at least getting phone interviews. It seems most of the jobs I have applied for are 'requesting' a CISSP but I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to having CISSP on your resume. I know it sounds odd but maybe they feel I would demand more than they are willing to pay? Who knows, maybe it is just coincidence? Just seems odd. I thought I would start getting alot more attention with CISSP on my resume.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going with coincidence? The only reason I could see someone being turned off by it is if you're going for a role like helpdesk with a CISSP and they know you'll jump at the next available security job. Did you suddenly also try to apply to jobs that might be far above your past experience hoping the CISSP would help you make the jump?
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If anything, it is a great feather in your cap. Without knowing more about the types of jobs you're applying for (before & after CISSP) and whether you changed your approach to the job market at all, it's hard to say why the frequency of callbacks has declined. Maybe just coincidence? Keep plugging away, good things will happen.
  • Options
    Still applying for the same type/level of jobs as before so no change there. Typically analyst type positions or Vulnerability Management type of roles. Nothing at the helpdesk level and nothing at the upper management level so no positions that would quickly rule me out. I will keep plugging away but this is the longest 'dry' spell I have been through with no activity in quite awhile. I have a good job that I like so no rush and no sense of urgency. Just looking for a change of pace and a new challenge. I have hit the ceiling at my current job (both in responsibilities and pay) and there is nowhere for me to go here so figured it was time to start looking.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Still applying for the same type/level of jobs as before so no change there. Typically analyst type positions or Vulnerability Management type of roles. Nothing at the helpdesk level and nothing at the upper management level so no positions that would quickly rule me out. I will keep plugging away but this is the longest 'dry' spell I have been through with no activity in quite awhile. I have a good job that I like so no rush and no sense of urgency. Just looking for a change of pace and a new challenge. I have hit the ceiling at my current job (both in responsibilities and pay) and there is nowhere for me to go here so figured it was time to start looking.

I've gotten a few calls lately, but for nothing related to my CISSP. I think I need a heavy hitter technical cert to go with it. (CCNP-R&S, MCSE)
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I've gotten a few calls lately, but for nothing related to my CISSP. I think I need a heavy hitter technical cert to go with it. (CCNP-R&S, MCSE)
    Kind of what I was thinking. I have been thinking about CSA+