Should I pass N+ and go for CCNA?

Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is the N+ needed?

I passed my A+ and I'm certified but I failed my N+. My goal is to get my CCNA/P and be a network administrator.

I know with A+ I'll get an entry level desktop support job paying anywhere from $35-45k here in New York. I also know I have to work my way up.

My question is should I try the N+ again or just do desktop support and study/work for my CCNA.
Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My question for you: is price a motivating factor? The Network+ exam is ~$300 USD, and CCNA is $165x2 if you do ICND1 & 2, or $300 for the composite exam. From the feedback I'm seeing on this site and others, the Net+ is harder than the CCNA. I can't verify the validity, as I haven't taken the current versions of the exams. However, I do know that the CCNA is more valued in the field than Net+. However, my PERSONAL opinion is if you can afford it, go for it. If you get your Net+, then getting the CCNA later on will fulfill the CE requirements for Net+ and renew for another 3 years.

I hope my two cents was valuable for you. I am curious to hear what others think.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your input.

I believe the CCNA might be easier then the N+

In my class of 17 only 4 passed the N+.

Also people who failed the N+ went on to crush the CCNA and pass with high score. From my research it seems the ccna is more valuable in terms of finding actual work.

I got offered a $17.50 an hour job basically as help desk with my A+. I think I'm going to take it and just work on my CCNA.

I don't think 17.50 is bad to start in the IT field especially with no previous work experience. Plus this company offers great advancement within and offer alot of roles for network administrators. They also pay for any certs I want to take and also pay for a bachelor's if I want to pursue.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    go directly for CCNA
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • emekemek Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your goal is to be a network administrator, then you should take the quickest route there. This being going straight for the CCENT/CCNA. I studied for the N+ (never took it) and am a couple weeks away from getting my CCNA. I can tell you from my experience that the CCNA is a MUCH harder exam than the N+.

Put it this way, all the comptia exams I have ever taken I have passed by simply reading the book a couple of times over and taking the practice quizzes. I would say my effort level in hindsight was casual.

The CCNA on the other hand will take multiple forms of studying, from multiple sources. You can't pass simply by reading a book. You have to lab, watch videos, take notes, do practice exams, notecards, etc. This will require a much higher level of discipline and effort on your part. If you are willing to commit to this, than you will be fine.
  • TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The ball is in your court. If you feel you could put in a solid 2-3 weeks of studying, you could obtain the N+. this will open doors for you and get you a entry level job making 45-55k IMO (especially in the city). While you get exposed to a work environment/ get your feet wet, you could study CCNA on the side. That is the ultimate goal.

However. If you put off the N+ and try tackling the CCNA. Its going to require a solid 1-2 months of studying, lab simulations and hands on experience. it is very difficult to read a book and pass the CCNA. with the N+ however, you can read a book and pass it.

What do you feel like doing Jacinto1023?
    Almost certain the school will give me another retake, so I will reschedule the N+ two weeks from now. Might as well get it like you said to make more money and get my feet wet when it comes to networking experience.

I managed to acquire alot of good review material and I think a solid two weeks should be enough to pass.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This was 5 or 6 years ago but I passed the Network+ exam by just watching Professor Messer's videos and a good book. The vids are free and can be found here: Professor Messer's CompTIA N10-006 Network+ Training Course | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Jacinto1023, I really want to tell you that the stuff you learn in Network+ has to be remembered and understood fully before going into CCNA/Networking Field. Everything above this, including security relies heavily on the topics you learn in Network+. If you do not prove mastery here, then you will have a tougher time learning other technologies. Many people do say that the Network+ makes the CCNA much much easier and harder without N+. This includes me.

I believe that the Network+ is an easier test than the CCNA. I will agree with others here and mention that besides just reading and a video, the CCNA requires tons of lab scenarios that you must practice repetitively. This is a killer and must be drilled into your brain or you might blank out on the exam. At your level right now, I would get the N+ to be able to move up into networking tasks. I sure as hell wouldnt give a task to someone if they didnt show confidence in the fundamentals. How would I know? with your certs. I believe lower level certs can show an employer your desire to learn more complex areas. CompTIA has actually made their test question pool so large and quickly update that dumpers cannot possibly remember thousands of questions. Also, the questions may or may not be harder, but the CCNA is still harder overall from the complexity.

Since you are starting out, you may have to wait before you could actually be promoted to use cisco skills. Because of the lower level, more general role, the Network+ will teach you about how networking works as a whole without going too deep into one area. It has been known that the Network+ is like an 10 mile wide ocean 2 inches deep, whereas the CCNA is a 2 inch ocean going 10 miles deep. It shows people that you know how things like servers, voice, security, and wireless work together. A CCNA doesn't yet go into that so much. You should pay and retest, you have to prove this to your employer and future employers.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    J,
    Passing an exam doesn't prove that you know the material.
    Conversely, Failing an exam doesn't prove the opposite.

If you honestly studied all the topics fully, and mastered the material (to the best of your ability), and you can competently explain concepts to others.... then don't worry about the certification.

Take what you've learned from the Net+ curriculum, and leverage that to get your CCNA :]

CompTIA has actually made their test question pool so large and quickly update that dumpers cannot possibly remember thousands of questions.

Agree to Disagree.
    Multiple-choice-certs are easily dumped... and Comptia's exams are No exception.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Jacinto

Regardless if you choose to go straight to the CCNA or not it is IMPERATIVE that you understand the fundamentals in Networking which is gone over in Network+. Take a month to study it and don't take the test just understand how the pc is supposed to work and get on the network. It really isn't that difficult. I come across to many desktop guys that can't tell the difference between 1 or 2 nic ports on the pc and plug it into the wrong port and wonder why it doesn't work. Or know how to type ipconfig /all to get the dns server IPs, or say that a network port is not working when dhcp has been disabled on the users pc. I am amazed how the desktop guys seem to have taken a nap during network 101.

Sorry had to vent lol
    I have a basic understanding of network components and how they work. I know the different nic
    I have a basic understanding of network components and how they work. I know the different nic ports, how to setup vlans and trunk them, how to use the command line to resolve ip,dns,etc..

I did all of this in the course I'm taking. This is why I'm so upset that I still failed. I'm thinking it might have been the wording and how many answer can be right but they want the "best" one.

Anyways I've rescheduled another retake for three weeks from now so this time I'll truly be ready.
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you got a free retake, might as well go for it. But I don't think I'd pay for it. From what I've read, N+ has become much more difficult in recent revisions, and the CCNA is what has more value on a resume. So if you're spending your own money, just go for the CCNA.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Jacinto

Yea sorry I have to admit I just read the topic and your first post and responded based on that . Seen to many posts asking which to get the network+ or ccna so I had to vent lol. Good luck on your next attempt but I think in real world for desktop jobs if you have an A+ its good enough. People rarely ask for network+ but expect you to have the knowledge as if you took it. If you don't pass don't sweat it as long as you know how to troubleshoot using the techniques and how networking works. Go and start studying your CCNA.
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've taken the N+ this year and, after reading the objectives for CCENT recently, I plan on going the CCNA two exam route sometime this year since N+ objectives are close to the CCENT. If you're looking for networking cert recognition, CCNA would probably be best. If both N+ and CCNA exams are included in your tuition, based on what I've read in the two exam CCNA objectives, you could use the N+ as a stepping stone to the CCNA via the two exam route.
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner