How do you respond when a potential employer asks your current salary?

NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
How do you respond when a potential employer asks your current salary? I know some states, like MA, have laws forbidding this practice but the one I live in does not.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just tell the truth. If I have to lie to get a fair deal I don't want to work there anyway. No lying when raise time comes around.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if you make $70,001, feel free to say mid 70s to put you up to 77k to try and help yourself out.
  • skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do they straight up ask what you make exactly? I've always had them ask for a range of what I'm looking for and I keep it with in a 10k bracket. Lower end still being more than I make. That way you can have some room for negotiation.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't really see the point in exaggerating so I always just tell the truth. Essentially, I will simply ask for what I believe my value is to any employer. It's just a starting point for compensation negotiation as far as I'm concerned.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well if you make $70,001, feel free to say mid 70s to put you up to 77k to try and help yourself out.

This ^ I usually just round up a little. icon_thumright.gif
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I voted truth, but I obfuscate the numbers by calculating my benefits and vacation and telling them my total comp is X.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I voted truth but I generally do not disclose that information unless I really feel the need to. I typically say: "I would like to begin negotiating at X amount'
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    This ^ I usually just round up a little. icon_thumright.gif

It's really the way to go lol. I include my bonus/phone comps/whatever in the figure. The reality is if you want 85k from somewhere and they find out you make 71k, they might be convinced they do not need to pay you more than 80k to quit your job. If you just say "mid 70s", I have a feeling (and personal experience) that things will go the way you want them to. The opposite is also true though. Ask for mid 80s, and you'll be getting 85k - not 87/88k.

Definitely don't make up a hard number though, that would be a lie and not a good look. I have also found that sometimes it is impossible to deflect the question. They simply refuse to not let you answer. It's bad business to do that in my book.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @hurricane1091 Don't forget the hiring process is a two way process. They have to want to hire you and you have to want to work there. Don't settle for less. If I was making 71k but I checked the market is paying 95k for the same skills and experience be sure I am asking for 95k. There is no difference if I was making 60k, 70k, or 80k if I have the skills that they need better be sure I make sure they pay for it.

If the company or recruiter says ok your making 71k I can't possible give you a raise for 90k thats crazy, just keep it moving because that person is a dirtbag lol. You are not even working for them so regardless what they say they're not giving you a raise they are paying you for your skills remember that!
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    @hurricane1091 Don't forget the hiring process is a two way process. They have to want to hire you and you have to want to work there. Don't settle for less. If I was making 71k but I checked the market is paying 95k for the same skills and experience be sure I am asking for 95k. There is no difference if I was making 60k, 70k, or 80k if I have the skills that they need better be sure I make sure they pay for it.

If the company or recruiter says ok your making 71k I can't possible give you a raise for 90k thats crazy, just keep it moving because that person is a dirtbag lol. You are not even working for them so regardless what they say they're not giving you a raise they are paying you for your skills remember that!

I would agree that if you are strong on your position and not willing to budge, the other side may cave. From a numbers standpoint, you wouldn't expect your current employer to give you a 30% raise probably, right? Well with that being true and your new potential employer finding out you want a 30% raise, you may find they do not want to give that either.

I am not advocating that these employers are in the right - they are not. This is just based on some life experiences I've had.
    Dude I just about doubled my salary when I was offered my current role. They paid me what the position was worth and didn't care what I made at my last job. I would not expect my current employer to give me a 30% raise thats why people jump ship to get it :)

To add don't forget if you have skills companies want the first one you apply to may not have the budget to pay you but the 2nd one probably will.
    Dude I just about doubled my salary when I was offered my current role. They paid me what the position was worth and didn't care what I made at my last job. I would not expect my current employer to give me a 30% raise thats why people jump ship to get it :)

To add don't forget if you have skills companies want the first one you apply to may not have the budget to pay you but the 2nd one probably will.

Fantastic. I did say may because again, it's a possibility of course and not a guarantee. They wouldn't ask you your current salary if there wasn't a reason behind it in most cases. Why are they so interested in what you make now? Not for kicks surely.
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I respond by telling them that financial details are covered as part of the confidentially agreement by my current employer. I'm sure they can appreciate someone willing to honor said agreement. I would be happy to discuss the compensation I desire for the position however.
    Well there are different reasons they may ask it such as to see if they can afford you, to see if they can low ball you, etc. I just give them a range of what I am looking for depending on the overall compensation/benefits package.

When you are employed you have the ball in your court because unless you know you are getting laid off there is no need to be desperate and let recruiters or possible employers to push you around to get that job assuming you are in a good market. That is the point I am making.

When you have the skills a company is looking for and are already working you have the luxury to say no thank you but if you are not employed then you will most likely have to settle. People forget that companies hire because they need someone to do a job they don't hire to do anyone favors.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I voted truth, but I obfuscate the numbers by calculating my benefits and vacation and telling them my total comp is X.

I have the same reasoning but I voted for adding a percentage.

Edit - quoted wrong post.
    Kind of funny that I just ran into this article on linkedin, the main takeaway I got from this was, "The faster you run away from organizations (and recruiters) who treat you badly, the sooner you'll find the right people to collaborate with!"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2017/03/28/never-give-up-your-salary-details-do-this-instead/#5521cbcb8d6e
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Every job is a whole different negotiation - EVERYTHING is different. Different benefits, different location, different responsibilities, different people. Probably different IT systems, because no two places are the same. Different processes, most of the time. So, it's irrelevant what I'm making now, other that as a tool for them to negotiate with.
    What difference does it make what I am making now? - It only matters what my target salary is, and whether they decide I'm worth that much - they will probably turn around and offer the same thing to the next guy, anyway. If not, they can decide I'm out of their range and hire somebody less qualified.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kind of funny that I just ran into this article on linkedin, the main takeaway I got from this was, "The faster you run away from organizations (and recruiters) who treat you badly, the sooner you'll find the right people to collaborate with!"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2017/03/28/never-give-up-your-salary-details-do-this-instead/#5521cbcb8d6e
    Some places have a line item on their HRIS system asking for your current salary and it requires a numeric input. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle that.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

@navymoose I always put my actual salary in those fields because if you exaggerate and they offer you the position the background check might show that if they are looking for it. In that article it states to put your desired salary in the each box and put a note at the end stating you listed your desired salary. I wonder if that works it sounds a little obnoxious to me.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    First to mention a number loses the negotiation. But I'd be careful about just giving current salary anyway, since it is just part of a package along with benefits, working conditions etc.

Ideally, you should have a good idea of what they are likely to pay before you need to start talking money, and if you have to name a number put it at the high end of what they are likely to pay. Money matters are best left until after you have a firm offer of employment - when you know they want you. If you give it to them earlier, then it might give them excuse not to consider you further.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some places have a line item on their HRIS system asking for your current salary and it requires a numeric input. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle that.

"Less than my target range for this job, if you offer me less than xxx I'm going to walk away." - let them do the math.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In some places, it's against the law to even ask.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    In some places, it's against the law to even ask.

As much as I hate big government; part of me is in favor of this being the law of the land.

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ... part of me is in favor of this being the law of the land.

Like anything - it's always a little bit more complicated icon_smile.gif The laws enacted in MA and NYC were intended to protect and equalize pay among women and minorities. I certainly see the benefits - but it seems like a stop-gap. A more comprehensive change to the Equal Pay Act would be preferable but the proposed Paycheck Fairness Act has been languishing for the past few years with little chance it will see the light of day anytime soon.

For myself, there is little value in not having an honest discussion about compensation. As my career has developed through it's ebb and flow, I've always prescribed to the notion that any value that I bring to an employer must be equitable for both sides. I am always willing to be paid less than "market" if I cannot demonstrate value but if I can have variable compensation component.

Because I believe in free markets and transparency and I tend to have more liberal views, I actually like to see the opposite of laws that prevent discussion of prior salaries. Instead of preventing an employer from asking a prospective hire about previous salary information - make it all public record. There could be an argument that if salary information or tax records were public-record, there would be less wage inequality.

If we have any Norwegian TE members, perhaps they could comment on this poll since it's never an issue in Norway.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    OctalDump wrote: »
    First to mention a number loses the negotiation.

Pay Negotiations 101

My first question to a potential job offer is "What is the salary range for the position?". It doesn't sound pushy and doesn't make me look greedy, just curious. It is an easy way to circumvent their questions of "What do you currently make?" and "What salary are you looking for?".
  • soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tell them up front but in regards to salary request. It should be going rate plus experience. I dont want to hear that you make $$$ so I can only pay you $. Thats bull, I dont care if I'm making 30k a year at my currenr job. If the work and experiemce required for the new job pays 60k, pay me 60k!