Passed CASP

rageguyrageguy Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed CASP a few days ago. Leaving some tips and pointers here for others to benefit.

Exam structure:
  • 80 questions (9 or 10 simulation)
  • Simulations include dragging and dropping definitions to a box, designing a network diagram, configuring firewalls
  • Multiple choice questions sometime require choosing multiple answers, thankfully the question tells you how many answers are required
Material used to study: How I studied:
  • Spent 3 days watching the Cybrary video
  • Spent 3 days reading the textbook
  • Spent 1 day doing practice exams from the textbook
Tips:
  • You are expected to know all the acronyms. The test questions were full of letters.
  • There were questions that the textbook did not cover. Unless you work in the field every day, perhaps consider getting another textbook.
  • The Cybrary videos helps give you an overview of all the ideas and is not sufficient by itself to help you pass
  • Just like what everyone else said, you really will use up all 2.5 hours.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Congratulations!

Did you find it hard?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • rageguyrageguy Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes. People weren't kidding when they say it's hard. The questions were long and every word needs to be read carefully. It's like every sentence carries a lot of facts that you need to know. The amount of acronyms were mind boggling.
  • carlettuscarlettus Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, thank you for your post.
    I see that you have also security+ so I would like to know if having studied Sec+ can help passing the exam .... in few words if security+ gave you a solid backdround to study CASP.
    Bye and thanks
    Caarlettus
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, and thanks for the advice.
  • rageguyrageguy Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    carlettus wrote: »
    Hi, thank you for your post.
    I see that you have also security+ so I would like to know if having studied Sec+ can help passing the exam .... in few words if security+ gave you a solid backdround to study CASP.
    Bye and thanks
    Caarlettus

To be honest, CASP is very different from Security+. CASP is all about focusing on the company/enterprise and coming up with a solution that fits the company's unique needs. Each question tells you specifically what the company needs are, and you are required to come up with the appropriate solution, whether it is using the best network security appliance, or the best crytographic method, or the best application development strategy.

You need to read the textbooks and really understand what the "best" options are.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rageguy wrote: »
    To be honest, CASP is very different from Security+. CASP is all about focusing on the company/enterprise and coming up with a solution that fits the company's unique needs. Each question tells you specifically what the company needs are, and you are required to come up with the appropriate solution, whether it is using the best network security appliance, or the best crytographic method, or the best application development strategy.

You need to read the textbooks and really understand what the "best" options are.

Completely agree. Congrats on the pass!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • ErdinyErdiny Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi rageguy,

So far i've been receiving the same suggestions on what book to use and other materials. The Pearson IT Cert Guide book and going through the Cybrary videos.

There were those that also recommended the book from Sybex and IT Pro TV vids.

I am planning to take the exam in maybe 2 weeks time hoping that i can acquire the cert to boost my chances in a job interview. And my only practical method is self study. At the same time i don't want to go buying many materials but end its not really needed.

So is it safe to say that the 2 materials you suggested is adequate to pass the exam? Would really appreciate any other input.

Note: I have been an IT Security/IT Audit Practitioner for about 8 years now. 2 yrs 10 months in IT security for a bank and 5 yrs 2 months for a telecom firm in IT Audit.
  • stickerbush1970stickerbush1970 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The problem with any exam whether it be Comptia ,Microsoft or any other one that you can think of, they like to through a lot of useless crap into their questions to confuse you. Their objective is for you to fail the exam not pass it, they don't make lots of money off of you if you pass it the first time around.
  • apisky4apisky4 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you identify the 5 biggest concepts that it would help to review...
    Without divulging specific questions.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem with any exam whether it be Comptia ,Microsoft or any other one that you can think of, they like to through a lot of useless crap into their questions to confuse you. Their objective is for you to fail the exam not pass it, they don't make lots of money off of you if you pass it the first time around.

You will fail if are not prepared...
    That's all.
    I failed few exam already in my life and believe me CompTIA exams are not on this list. Definitely their exams are not the "hardest" ones
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• JayVeeJayVee Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • crking3crking3 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So you only studied for 7 days ?