Been awhile

JimmyLee61JimmyLee61 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I did tech support back in the mid-late 90's and 2000-2001. Built a few computers here and there and now I am studying for the A+ Cert, need to change in my present line of work, figure I still know a bit about computers, I'm pretty sure I can still learn, any advice?

Comments

• packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be sure A+ will get you where you want to go. It's a good cert for computer repair and help desk careers, but it won't hold much value outside of those fields. It can also be a good starting point for someone who is new to IT, but that's not really your situation.

So if you're thinking of going into something like networking or security, you'll most likely be better off starting with a networking or security cert.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I agree with @packetphilter..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • JimmyLee61JimmyLee61 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'd start with A+, then finish the CompTIA triad with Network+ and Security+. Then, maybe the MCSA in Windows 10. To me that would be a good foot in the door to move into a basic IT job. But don't get comfy and stop learning there. Keep up the certs.
  • JimmyLee61JimmyLee61 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'd start with A+, then finish the CompTIA triad with Network+ and Security+. Then, maybe the MCSA in Windows 10. To me that would be a good foot in the door to move into a basic IT job. But don't get comfy and stop learning there. Keep up the certs.

That was my thought too
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ was my first IT certification. It helped validate the experience, knowledge and skills I had when I was starting off.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...