Just Passed SSCP exam (UK) 18-04-2017

theshidoshitheshidoshi Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I have been browsing this forum and it has been a huge help so thank you everyone involved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My time to contribute to show my appreciation to all of you who spent time to give back and contribute.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]if my post helps you in any way please repay the favour by contributing back to this great forum so we can all benefit and keep the goodness going :)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My background[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]I have been in the IT field for 10-11 years now, mostly in the desktop/server/network support until 2 years ago when I made my entry into Info Sec world. I always dabbled with security and had huge passion for it and read security papers or tried simulations at home in my test lab. I have already under my belt a few certs in Security, Networking and Linux: CCNA, FCSNA, Security+, CISMP, Network+, LIPC-1, Novell CLA, ISO 27001 ISMS Foundation etc. I am comfortable with Linux and Networking.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A) Material used[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Books:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1) SSCP Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition (2015) CD-ROM - by Darril Gibson[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Study Guides: [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1) CISSP Sunflower 2.0 : [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]https://www.studynotesandtheory.com/single-post/Free-CISSP-Summary-PDF-–-UPDATED-2017[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Broader scope, more fitted for CISSP but lots of detailed and sometimes overlapping material there which explain some domains in more details than in SSCP exam.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]2) SSCP Study Notes 2.0 by Vijayanand Banahatti [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Very dated/ Unable to locate a working link but used to be hosted on https://cccure.training [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Practice Questions : [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1) CD-Rom (included with the SSCP AIO Book)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
2) TechExams (20 Qs)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Practice Exams - Browse - TechExams.net[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Videos :[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1) PluralSight SSCP course (www.pluralsight.com) $29/mo[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I paid for 1 month but as it was very decent and has tons of other material related to security and courses for other certs, I will keep it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]2) Cybrary :FREE [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Cryptography course (https://www.cybrary.it/course/cryptography) [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]3) YouTube: [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Various to do with Access Models and Encryption (whichever areas i felt not strong in like how HTTPS/SSL works or PKI)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]B) Study[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]I have planned to study this in 2 months but set aside 2.5 months for contingency as I have started a new job and expected to be busy settling into the job.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]IMPORTANT NOTE: Unlike other IT exams that allow you to reschedule with 48-72 hours notice, ISC2/Pearson Vue charge $50 admin fee for any change in the exam date even if you contact them a month earlier to reschedule. This kept me focused and sticking to my plan and not fall into the trap of rescheduling whenever I got side tracked or had other pressures. Make sure you pick a realistic date and give yourself a few weeks extra for contingency.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My study strategy was:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]- Read the Darrill Gibson SSCP AIO book twice cover to cover. taking notes on the second read and highlighting all important areas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]- Watched the Pluralsight Video course for SSCP and the Cybrary Crypto video once and took notes on any topics that was not covered by the book. There were some real nuggets there that filled a gap.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]- Read other short PDF study guides as outlined above. Take this with a pinch of salt as they might be out of date but some bits of information is timeless still.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]- Browsed this forum for any pointers by previous successful candidates. Their tips were invaluable.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]- Took the practice tests and wrote a list of my weak areas. I did additional reading (wikis, YouTube etc) until I was comfortable then attempted the mock exam questions until I was scoring 95%.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]- Good night sleep and arrive 1-2 hours early to the exam. Have a heart breakfast to reward yourself for all the hard work you put in so far. Enjoy your coffee. :)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]C) The Exam[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]Date : 18-04-2017
[FONT=&amp]Duration : 3 hours but finished the 125 Qs in 1 hour and review in 15 minutes.
Attempts: First
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I am usually never nervous during IT exams as I study extensively for it but this exam was the most nerve-racking I had in years. It felt as though all my materials didn't cover 70% of the exam. I was seeing in depth questions that the book/videos glossed over. For example TKIP protocol was a mere mention but the exam expected you to know how it works, what its weakness or vulnerabilities were etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The thing that threw me off the most was the format of the question. Usually you a clear cut question with very obvious wrong answers and 1 or two possible answers. However the SSCP exam asked question in a way that tests your judgement more than knowing potential questions and right answers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Example:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]- What is the MOST ...... for securing xyz?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]- What is the BEST ....for abc?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]- LEAST ...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]- MINIMUM ...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]- MAXIMUM ...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Often the answers were all correct but it expected you to pick the BEST practice or MOST secure answer out of all possible correct answers. No silly and outright wrong options which you usually can eliminate. This made it more challenging but relied often on my understanding and experience in the field rather than something I have read in the book. Look out for those.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I have finished the exam in 1 hour and was for the first time in a long time unsure if I passed or not. They told me I passed and I was relieved and carried on to have a celebratory dinner afterwards.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Now on to CEH or CCNA Security before I attempt my CISSP next (I don't have the required experience for CISSP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]I hope that helps you in any way.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Good luck and remember to post your questions or success feedback [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Shidoshi[/FONT]

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You can take the CISSP exam without having the required professional work experience. You just won't be able to get the full CISSP certification until you do. If you believe that you will have the required experience in a few years, I would go for the CISSP exam next while the information is fresh in your brain. Some employers only care about having passed the CISSP exam and not having the full CISSP cert.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! And thanks for a great write-up :)
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    without breaking the NDA how close in feel are the 250 questions in d gibsons book to the exam type of question please?

Im told they are not like other exams.
  • dangl1122dangl1122 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    triplea wrote: »
    without breaking the NDA how close in feel are the 250 questions in d gibsons book to the exam type of question please?

Im told they are not like other exams.

The SSCP is 125 questions, not 250.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    The SSCP is 125 questions, not 250.

The practice is 250 he exam is 125
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• chetasdaschetasdas Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the summary. Congratulations on the pass! Those "choose the best option" questions really can throw you off. I'll be taking my exam this Thursday. I'll be covering the AIO and the SSCP guide from cover to cover.
  • fsoaresfsoares Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is a practice exam to sscp ?
  • theshidoshitheshidoshi Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did not find or use any. Just the one that came with the AIO book really.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great writeup! Congrats! I couldn't find any practice exams, either. In addition to SSCP materials, I used CISSP and CASP guides to help get me over the top.
  • smcmahan309smcmahan309 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip on CISSP Sunflower 2.0. I looked this over before taking the SSCP today (passed), and offhand there were at least two questions I would not have recognized unless I had read the guide. I, also used the SSCP AIO, the Sybex book and practice questions from Sec+ and CySA+.