Lifelock: Is it worth it?

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay, I posted that I got hack last week. I forgot to mention this is the second time in the past year. I just wondering if Lifelock worth it not? I on the borderline of getting it. Right after my account got breach, I changed all my passwords, got extra security on my bank account. I just wonder if Lifelock worth to get for 30 dollars a month? Thanks

Comments

• Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    It's kinda expensive. Doesn't really protect you from identity theft either, just theoretically makes it harder. Figure out why you are being targeted so much and try to implement extra security precautions like two-factor authentication. Reconsider it if even that isn't enough.
    "The winner takes it all"
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you get LifeLock it will stop about 95% of attempts but what you are really paying for is their $1 million dollar guarantee and their army of lawyers and accountants which specialize in identify theft. By yourself you will be luck to afford one lawyer or accountant and you still have to work on finding one that actually specializes in identify theft. Anytime you hire a lawyer that specializes in financial crimes it will cost you a pretty penny since they are not exactly common. LifeLock also has been proven by the test of time, they have had a bunch of competitors which have all gone out of business, they have been around for like 15 years, they would have not survived that long if they weren't actually doing what they say.

Considering this has been twice that your financial data has been compromised the past year, I would just get a one year subscription and if everything is quiet during that year than cancel.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ryan9764 wrote: »
    Okay, I posted that I got hack last week. I forgot to mention this is the second time in the past year. I just wondering if Lifelock worth it not? I on the borderline of getting it. Right after my account got breach, I changed all my passwords, got extra security on my bank account. I just wonder if Lifelock worth to get for 30 dollars a month? Thanks

I have had it for many years (5+) and it is only $9mo for me. They have notified me of my gmail account being sold to black market, which I ended up closing the account. It didn't protect me from thieves that stole bills out of my mailbox & counterfeiting the checks & wrote all over the city.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for everybody input. I going to try them for a year and if all clear, than I will cancel it.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    freezing your credit is the best way to know you are safe, if you are not planning on financing anything in the near future, this is the best way to go. Most of the 3 credit bureaus allow you to freeze for free if you have been previously victimized (varies by state) it costs 5-10 per bureau to freeze/unfreeze but nothing new can be opened in your name. That coupled with account alerts for transactions over 50 dollars is the best method of securing your $$$

Lifelock, well the CEO published his ssn on ads everywhere touting how secure LL was... yeah it was instapwn'd hard for him ...
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In Information Security, organizations utilize defense in depth.
    This is something that monitors and stops others from trying to obtain your ID and information.
    I would actually suggest obtaining the premium account AND finding the attack vectors.
    I would suggest:
    1. nixing and free email... IE yahoo.
    2. Checking Malware on your laptop or any devices you use for connecting out to the internet.
    3. Limit where you login and connect to the internet... friend's / spouses phone or tablet.
    4. Not using any free WiFi at restaurants or anywhere for that matter. Get your own hotspot.

I have had Lifelock and would recommend it to others.

Good Luck !!!
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hate to say it but the thought in my head is ... what if Lifelock gets cracked? So much centralization of information or at least centralization of access to information about you all in one place? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hate to say it but the thought in my head is ... what if Lifelock gets cracked? So much centralization of information or at least centralization of access to information about you all in one place? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Not if but when Lifelock gets hacked, they have insurance to help mitigate the damage. You as a customer get up to $1 Million USD to assist in going after those who have your information. This is still better than you getting the lawyers and doing all of the work yourself. The process of making your credit the same before the attack could take 2 or 3 years.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Thank goodness OPM was hacked, I get free services to monitor me and my family's account. Isn't that FANTASTIC?<sarcasm>
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ThePuterGeekThePuterGeek Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP: Did you change banks? That would be my first suggestion. Especially if you were hacked twice in the first year.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank goodness OPM was hacked, I get free services to monitor me and my family's account. Isn't that FANTASTIC?<sarcasm>

You get it for three years, everybody knows that if your information isn't used for three years you're in the clear...

There has to be some poorly managed/protected database/system with all the information for all congressmen and women. If that were hacked we might actually see a crackdown on this type of stuff. The hackers probably realize that and won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
  • Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OP: Did you change banks? That would be my first suggestion. Especially if you were hacked twice in the first year.

I kindred did and kindred didn't. All my money is in another bank. I do have little bit of credit card debit, but should be paid off by Oct. I still keeping this bank, but I not going to use my debit card, or keep money in it. As with my other bank, I just found out that they have surcharge free atm around my area, so I guess I going back to the stone age, and start using cash.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    thomas_ wrote: »
    You get it for three years, everybody knows that if your information isn't used for three years you're in the clear...

There has to be some poorly managed/protected database/system with all the information for all congressmen and women. If that were hacked we might actually see a crackdown on this type of stuff. The hackers probably realize that and won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
    I sill have fraud protection with my bank nd credit cads anyway.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....