Free Labs or Lab Excercises on the web (70-410)

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello good day all,

It's been quite some time since my last post. I've been studying away while I can for the 70-410 exam but have been putting it off for some time due to the sheer difficulty I've been hearing about for this exam. Does anyone have any good resources for any kind of labbing where it kind of goes through some of the scenarios and Windows Server services found in 2012 R2? I've been looking all over and have had no such luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you've done MCITP:EA/MCSA 2008 you can just upgrade to MCSA 2012 with 70-417, in case you didn't already know?
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have a lab setup at home (either a separate physical system or two or you are using Hyper-V in Windows 10/Virtual Box) the best thing I can recommend is to write your own lab guide. Microsoft provides a list of most of the test content. Just go down that list and try to lab everything on it. If you can manage that you'll have a pretty good understanding.

For the 410: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-410.aspx

Nearly every book on the exam contains at least basic labs you can follow. They aren't comprehensive but they may serve as a good start. If you are looking for something specifically geared as a lab guide I don't know of much. I know there is the MOAC lab guide but it is geared for using the MOAC labs which you likely won't have access to. You may be able to duplicate them in your lab yourself but I'm not sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Installing-Configuring-Microsoft-Official-Academic/dp/1118882296/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495632479&sr=1-2&keywords=Exam+70-410+Installing+and+Configuring+Windows+Server+2012+Lab+Manual

Last, if you go to Technet Virtual Labs, Microsoft has some resources you can try and follow along with. I have had difficulty with their labs more than once so I struggle recommending them outright. However, I can say they do have the lab guides for each lab. Those shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb467605.aspx
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    If you've done MCITP:EA/MCSA 2008 you can just upgrade to MCSA 2012 with 70-417, in case you didn't already know?

Yes, you are correct I could take the upgrade exam but I heard taking this path is way more difficult then taking them individually. I was told the pace of the exam is not for someone who hasn't at least taken one of them.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Great discussion!
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct I could take the upgrade exam but I heard taking this path is way more difficult then taking them individually. I was told the pace of the exam is not for someone who hasn't at least taken one of them.

From what I've heard the upgrade exam is extremely focused on the new features, and the exam tips in the MS press book actually give you half the answers to the exam. I'm planning on doing it in the next couple of months, so I'll let you know how it goes, I guess.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Networkminds on you tube has some really good videos for the 70-410.

Here is the link for the play list.

Objectives are broken down into playlists.

https://www.youtube.com/user/networkedminds/playlists
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • caliostrocaliostro Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT now has online Lab for 410 and 411 updated courses. And they also have a 7 day trial.