Sitting May 26th

djmd808djmd808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Came on here to gain some confidence and you all have me freaked out! Wow, sounds like this exam is really something else. Work is paying for it, I've been procrastingating for months... two years ago I took a Security course in college, and the text was the book for the 301 exam. We also had a lab book with exercises to do every week and they were damn near impossible, most of the items were not things you could find in the corresponding chapter... sounds much like the exam itself. I didn't take the exam after finishing that class cause I just had so many other things going on, and other classes. We even had the option of skipping the mid term and final, and getting a 100 in the class if we passed the CompTIA exam... but that seemed like a gamble, so I passed on it.

Going through Darril's book for the second time leading up to the exam.

Yikes...

Comments

• Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try his online premium content and maybe give measureup a go also. Exam isn't that bad as long as you understand the material.
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't lose faith man, it shouldn't be so bad if you prepare well enough. I'm going for it too after sitting Net+ last month. Let's keep the spirit high :D
  • djmd808djmd808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I didn't mean to be such a downer. I've been in IT for 20 years (got first CCNA in '03??) so I think I'll be ok. I've been pushing it back for months and then realized that I'm running out of time to do that :)
  • MkroadrushMkroadrush Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    djmd808 wrote: »
    Came on here to gain some confidence and you all have me freaked out!

I'm studying too, I will be taking the exam very soon, The premium material I heard is good which I will go for that too. Now there are some Class A A**holes come over here and say they study for 2 to 3 weeks never took the exam and passed, don't listen to those trolls, study you ass off, that's it.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, I'll go again after you at 30th of May :D

I read Sybex, Mike Meyers, and Darril Gibson.

Watching IT Pro and CBT Nuggets and the Live Session of Professor Messer.

I'm trying to cover all the material.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • LFCJoshhLFCJoshh Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Good luck, I'll go again after you at 30th of May :D

I read Sybex, Mike Meyers, and Darril Gibson.

Watching IT Pro and CBT Nuggets and the Live Session of Professor Messer.

I'm trying to cover all the material.

Agree with this 100% - Study all of the free materials from Prof Messer, although the premium content from CBT/IT Pro and Lynda.com are really good!

Good Luck chap!
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    I studied for a few weeks and used Get Certified Get Ahead Premium content, and felt that really helped alot. I also used Darril Gibson's book, and watched a bunch of Messer videos. Hopefully you knock it out, not everyone has the same learning curve but I will say this know WHY not just the answer to anything, know why the answer is the answer. Alot of the questions are more for the best option when in a situation and most were not any questions I studied, even though I was doing great on my pretests...
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing I wish I did on my exam is mark all of the simulation questions for review right away (I think I had 6 total?). I did them first and wasted a bunch of time. Just my opinion...

Make sure you read the question, eliminate which answers are definitely wrong, re-read the question again, then pick the right one. That helped me a TON.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    One thing I wish I did on my exam is mark all of the simulation questions for review right away (I think I had 6 total?). I did them first and wasted a bunch of time. Just my opinion...

Make sure you read the question, eliminate which answers are definitely wrong, re-read the question again, then pick the right one. That helped me a TON.
    The simulations were brutal!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is one reason why Darril Gibson suggests marking the simulations and doing them at the end of the exam. At least you know how much time you have for the ten or less simulations instead of having 70 plus multiple choice questions and and thirty minutes to test end.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□

They really were! Makes me paranoid to think what might be on more advanced security exams...
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember one simulation and was pretty sure it had nothing to do with the exam objectives.