Options

Next step after CCNP R&S?

pfisterfarmpfisterfarm Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I received my CCNP R&S back in September. I'm wondering what I should work on next. I have 23 years working with Cisco products. I would love to move on to CCIE R&S, but money is pretty tight right now. I may be able to get my work to pay for additional certifications, but I'm not sure CCIE is a possibility there. I'm thinking about CCNA specializations, specifically Data Center, Security, and Cloud. I'm also looking at the AWS certifications. Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what do you work with besides R&S?
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Have you thought about any of the security tracks outside of Cisco?

I'm thinking OSCP once i've finished my CCNP.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    what do you work with besides R&S?

Wireless is pretty big here, so I've gotten the CCNA Wireless already. We have some Nexus switches, and I maintain the firewall, so that's why I've been looking at DC and Security. We don't have much to do with cloud services, but it seems like something I want to look into.
  • Options
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Have you thought about any of the security tracks outside of Cisco?

No, to be honest, I haven't looked much beyond Cisco at this point.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd like to get my CCDA and CCDP once I have finished R/S, I was going to go into Security, but there is too much filler material there when I only really need to know ASA and Firepower administration.

I think Design would broaden possible job role horizons quite a bit, especially with your experience, holy cow. I'd probably look into CCIE something if I were THAT far into my years of experience with Cisco, however, Design route would be my best suggestion :)
  • Options
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I'd probably look into CCIE something if I were THAT far into my years of experience with Cisco, however, Design route would be my best suggestion :)

I think I may look into that. I'd love to go after a CCIE, but I don't know how I'd come up with the funds right now.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I think Design would broaden possible job role horizons quite a bit, especially with your experience, holy cow. I'd probably look into CCIE something if I were THAT far into my years of experience with Cisco, however, Design route would be my best suggestion :)

This is what I did (CCDA/P). It really is great to learn the design aspects. Makes you appreciate some of the protocols on a whole different level, as well as understanding certain things from a business perspective.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As mentioned I think it heavily depends on what you currently work on and what your desires are. For me I just got into a role where I touch on a bit of everything (R/S, Voice, Wireless, Design), so I plan on keeping my NP alive with CCDP. Next when my kids are a bit older and require a bit less constant attention at home I am going to sit down and begin the journey toward CCIE.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi