Options

CISM Journey

EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, I've decided to go for CISM. A little about my background, I hold Security +, SSCP, and CISSP. I thought CISSP was a fairly easy test and finished in a little under two hours. Luckily, I'm a strong test taker which helps on IT certification exams. Here is my prep plan for the exam I'm taking May 16th.

-Complete all questions in official ISACA database and read explanations.
-Watch the Cybrary IT videos

I also have the official manual on hand for reference. I took two 50 question practice tests from the official database and scored 90+ percent. I guess I should be good, but I've never taken a test from ISACA. Anyone with both certifications have any input? Is the manual worth reading? It's terribly boring. However, at $985.00 all in for everything I want to pass the first time. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can purchase the online QAE (Questions, Answers, Explanations) subscription from ISACA store.

The manual is dry but the QAE questions helped. FWIW, my average QAE score was between 70 to 80%+ and yet I achieved top 5% score for my CISM exam. With your 90+ score, you should aim for a top 3 finish. Believe ISACA still award prizes for top scorers in their exams.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I find the isaca manuals to be good for real-life work problems, but for test-taking all you need to do is practice their exam q&a database. questions are exact same format & difficulty (IMO) and teach you what you need to know to pass (IMO). remember though - passing the test is great, but there's always lots of good things to learn for real-life work problems in the official study guides.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck! I have my exam scheduled for the 8th. I started the manual but only got halfway through the first chapter before ditching it in favor of solely the QAE database. I'm hitting mid to upper 70s on it so I feel decent. The questions are actually easy, I just have a habit of overthinking some of them and talking myself into something other than my initial gut instinct and I get some wrong that I would have gotten right if I'd not overthought it. Also, you can easily eliminate two answers, and from there it's 50/50.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    asiru77asiru77 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i am also looking to go for CISM in May 2017 , i think time will not be an issue anymore with CISM Exam because according to my knowledge they have decreased the number of exam question from 200 to 150 with same 4 hours time limit plus CBT exam take less time to select and submit an answer in comparison of traditional paper based exam where you actually have to fill a circle with pencil
  • Options
    I find the isaca manuals to be good for real-life work problems, but for test-taking all you need to do is practice their exam q&a database. questions are exact same format & difficulty (IMO) and teach you what you need to know to pass (IMO). remember though - passing the test is great, but there's always lots of good things to learn for real-life work problems in the official study guides.

Absolutely! I still use the CISSP manual frequently for everyday situations. They both are good reference materials, but I'd rather watch paint dry then read that manual! The only decent manual I've heard read was for SSCP and it was surprisingly not bad!
  • Options
    Good luck to you as well! I originally scheduled the exam for the beginning of June, but I couldn't stand to wait that long. The QAE database is awesome. I agree with the overthinking deal. Had a CISM tell me not to overthink with ISACA exams because you'll trip yourself up too easily. I felt CISSP was similar with the way they worded their questions. I'm not one to mark anything for review during an exam. I either know it, or I don't. Very rarely will I leave something blank and circle back. I feel it helps, but that's just me!
  • Options
    afriendafriend Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys, just double checking, for CISM, I'm planning to purchase and complete:

- English: CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 12 Month Subscription

Do you think I will be fine for the certification exam? My background is I have just done CISSP two weeks. Also how many questions in CISM QAE? Can I done it in a week and sit for the exam? Please suggest... Thanks
  • Options
    afriendafriend Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry I meant, I have just done CISSP two weeks ago
  • Options
    afriend wrote: »
    Guys, just double checking, for CISM, I'm planning to purchase and complete:

- English: CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 12 Month Subscription

Do you think I will be fine for the certification exam? My background is I have just done CISSP two weeks. Also how many questions in CISM QAE? Can I done it in a week and sit for the exam? Please suggest... Thanks

I just got back from the testing center and passed the CISM. I just used the QAE database to prep. I spent about a good solid 2 weeks hitting questions. I think there is about 1000 or so questions. I had bought the review manual but after getting halfway through the first chapter I ditched it and bought the QAE DB. I'd recommend at least two weeks studying. First I'd just get the QAE DB and take a 100 question exam across all domains and see how you do. If you get around 80% then I'd say you could probably just pound questions for a week and pass.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    whitehorse2017whitehorse2017 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, but here goes... I'm looking at changing careers in to Information Security. I know I need CISM, CISA and CISSP qualifications to make the chang easier, but is there a best route to follow, i.e. CISM, CISA then CISSP etc.?

Also, although I'm looking for a stratetic or management role, I dont have an IT background, so will these courses be overwhelming for a newbie? Is ComptiA+, Network+ a better place to start?
  • Options
    I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, but here goes... I'm looking at changing careers in to Information Security. I know I need CISM, CISA and CISSP qualifications to make the chang easier, but is there a best route to follow, i.e. CISM, CISA then CISSP etc.?

Also, although I'm looking for a stratetic or management role, I dont have an IT background, so will these courses be overwhelming for a newbie? Is ComptiA+, Network+ a better place to start?

Just coming into information security, you won't have the experience necessary to pass the endorsement process for CISM or CISSP. If you're starting from the beginning, I'd try maybe security + or SSCP.
  • Options
    whitehorse2017whitehorse2017 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the pointer
  • Options
    Officially a CISM as of today. Super quick turnaround!
  • Options
    justdaveyjustdavey Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EJMADELINE wrote: »
    Officially a CISM as of today. Super quick turnaround!

How long did it take from submitting to receiving an answer? Just submitted my paperwork tonight and was wondering as the sheet says up to 8 weeks to get the full kit, but i'm hoping the answer was faster than the CISSP?
  • Options
    johnj6425johnj6425 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed my CISM exam on 6/2. I'm just waiting for my scores. I'm happy that ISACA went to the CBT format and the candidate is notified at the end of the exam with either pass or fail. The five week wait was horrible when I took the CISA exam in 2016.
  • Options
    justdavey wrote: »
    How long did it take from submitting to receiving an answer? Just submitted my paperwork tonight and was wondering as the sheet says up to 8 weeks to get the full kit, but i'm hoping the answer was faster than the CISSP?

About a week. Super quick.
  • Options
    EJMADELINE wrote: »
    About a week. Super quick.

Wow that's great to hear! I'll be submitting my CISM and CISA apps next week.