Options

70-410 Resources

Comments

• Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I can recommend the Exam Ref book for the 70-410. It's what I teach class with for the MCSE 2012 R2 classes. I have started to put together videos for the objectives and will continue to add to the collection https://www.youtube.com/user/networkedminds. If there is something in particular you are looking for PM me and I can put it together... Just don't ask for free VCEs... I can't get them free either icon_sad.gif

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bohack wrote: »
    I can recommend the Exam Ref book for the 70-410. It's what I teach class with for the MCSE 2012 R2 classes. I have started to put together videos for the objectives and will continue to add to the collection https://www.youtube.com/user/networkedminds. If there is something in particular you are looking for PM me and I can put it together... Just don't ask for free VCEs... I can't get them free either icon_sad.gif

You are NetworkedMinds? Sweet. Just wondering, when will you finish the 70-410 videos? And any estimate on when 70-411 vids will be uploaded? Those are very helpful uploads.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    Shhh... Don't tell anyone... LOL I'm about 1/3 the way thru the 70-410 book so it'll be a while. But I did some videos for the 70-414 on Hyper-V and there is a myriad of other videos on the channel that relate to the higher level concepts like VPN. I just wish I had more time to crank them out. I also teach two nights a week for the college I work for as the Supervisor of Network Ops during the day, so that takes a chuck on my nights.

• Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    this helps THX
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Can I safely assume that all you guys have a physical access to the machines necessary to practice for these exams? What's your favorite hosted Win Server 2012 solution to practice for exams if you don't have access to your own installation?
  • Options
    Maybe 10 years ago when visualization wasn't there physical machines were the only way to go. Today with a fast machine and 8 to 16 GB of RAM you can run all the labs off one machine, preferably your main workstation. I personally use Vmware to do my labs. If you are interested in making a Vmware lab with Vmware workstation follow this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3vXlo2q7M. You can do the same with Hyper-V, however the terminology is a bit different (i.e. linked clone vs differencing disk)

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    As Bohack said, you'll need a decent computer to create a lab. If you're going for the Server 2012 certs, its probably most beneficial to setup a hyper-v host and create whatever VMs you need from there. VMware is great too, heck I work with it every day, but its better to immerse yourself in the technology you're focusing on getting certified in. Labs are where you can get a decent amount of troubleshooting and experience in before hitting the production environment.
  • Options
    I am looking for a hosted install of win 12 server on which to practice rather than doing it on my own machine where I have to deal with MS license for this and license for that...
  • Options
    Hm I think I figured the setup out- an Evaluation Version from TechNet (for some reason I thought MS discontinued evaluation versions) and load the resulting VHD into VirtualBox. But it is one- time setup and I was looking for something Linux Academy offers for their students- spin up any Linux server within a minute, do your lab and you can deconstruct it/wipe it out and start a brand new setup within minutes. But I guess what I am asking for is too much for the world of "licence this, licence that".
  • Options
    natharasnatharas Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Hm I think I figured the setup out- an Evaluation Version from TechNet (for some reason I thought MS discontinued evaluation versions) and load the resulting VHD into VirtualBox. But it is one- time setup and I was looking for something Linux Academy offers for their students- spin up any Linux server within a minute, do your lab and you can deconstruct it/wipe it out and start a brand new setup within minutes. But I guess what I am asking for is too much for the world of "licence this, licence that".

Have a look at the MS Virtual Academy. As far as I am aware, the evaluation license isn't limited after the 90day period, if i'm wrong someone correct me though
  • Options
    natharas wrote: »
    Have a look at the MS Virtual Academy. As far as I am aware, the evaluation license isn't limited after the 90 day period, if i'm wrong someone correct me though

Thank you for the suggestion natharas, ms virtual academy looks like a great find. And it is 180 days, not 90, you get either Standard edition or Essentials. After evaluation elapses, the server turns off by itself every hour and you get those pesky desktop notifications that your copy of windows isn't genuine.
  • Options
    catakcatak Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□

@Bohack,

This was a great find! Question, do you recommend buying the Exam Ref book? What would be the ISBN #? Also, are all your videos directly from the objectives in this book? And, if you were to purchase exam questions software, which one is the best? Thanks so much:)
  • Options
    Catak,

Thank you... I take great pride in the videos I do for the community and I'm a teacher at heart (been for 17 or so years). I teach the MCSE track with the Exam Ref book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735684243/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0735684243&linkCode=as2&tag=network059-20&linkId=NQK47CQXNLHDAEJR However in the other forum post http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/109814-best-70-411-book-labs.html Justin recommended the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118289420/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1118289420&linkCode=as2&tag=network059-20&linkId=ZVEPMSBZKYOESRZX Sybex book. I just skimmed it and it is a mastering book... So it's everything... The Microsoft press are a little more guided, again I teach these courses so I like objectives :)

Jon

• Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Catak,

Thank you... I take great pride in the videos I do for the community and I'm a teacher at heart (been for 17 or so years). I teach the MCSE track with the Exam Ref book. Amazon.com: Exam Ref 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 (MCSA) (9780735684249): Craig Zacker: Books However in the other forum post http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/109814-best-70-411-book-labs.html Justin recommended the Amazon.com: Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 (9781118289426): Mark Minasi, Kevin Greene, Christian Booth, Robert Butler, John McCabe, Robert Panek, Michael Rice, Stefan Roth: Books Sybex book. I just skimmed it and it is a mastering book... So it's everything... The Microsoft press are a little more guided, again I teach these courses so I like objectives :)

Jon

Thanks for the advice. I do have the master book so far it's a good deal book. been trying to follow the lab work in the book. it's hard to remember everything they are talking about for just the 70-410 exam . This will be my third time taking the exam. The last 2 times I didn't have this book so hopefully i will do better this time around.

Other thing what other advice would you give for creating a lab for this exam?
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Best advice is to create a VMware lab, so that you can gain hands on experience. Reading and understand the material from the book is only part of the recipe for passing the exam. The other piece is experimentation and a VM allows you to experiment and produce the labs consistently. Follow this tutorial to build a lab https://youtu.be/lG3vXlo2q7M.

• Options
    natharasnatharas Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best advice is to create a VMware lab, so that you can gain hands on experience. Reading and understand the material from the book is only part of the recipe for passing the exam. The other piece is experimentation and a VM allows you to experiment and produce the labs consistently. Follow this tutorial to build a lab https://youtu.be/lG3vXlo2q7M.

Oh, I will be checking that video out when I'm more awake. I've also subscribed to your YouTube channel, have you done any sccm content as I need to do that exam for work.
  • Options
    SCCM is a nightmare to setup... I'm switching our AV at work to SCCM soon enough and when I do I'll probably record my labs. Everything SCCM requires SQL, and a few other servers. That is if you want it to scale.

• Options
    KoolsterKoolster Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me where I can get the labs for 70-410? Are MS virtual labs enough to pass the exam? Please and thank you :)
  • Options
    MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh mama! This is going to be great.
  • Options
    getafix`getafix` Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Bohack, do you feel that your videos, the books you suggest and labs will be sufficient to pass the 410 exam. The reason I ask is that I am looking for 1 deal comprehensive package so to speak. There is so much info out there from EliTheComputerGuy to all sorts and i find I am chasing my tail and not really accomplishing much.
  • Options
    alongtinalongtin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is the best way to study for the 70-410 server 2012 exam?

I have done all kinds of practice exams as well as the one from Microsoft and I was scoring how on them but when i took the test it was nothing to what I was studying at all

Is there a better way to study or something that is good for studying for the test
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alongtin wrote: »

I have done all kinds of practice exams as well as the one from Microsoft and I was scoring how on them but when i took the test it was nothing to what I was studying at all

Is there a better way to study or something that is good for studying for the test

This is a good question. I know how you feel I'm on the same boat as you.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    illmortalizedillmortalized Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alongtin wrote: »

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. People have recommended Sybex (which is what I'm using) but per reviews on the net, many people find it to be lacking lots of details.. making the book really not that useful at all.
  • Options
    roger101roger101 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. People have recommended Sybex (which is what I'm using) but per reviews on the net, many people find it to be lacking lots of details.. making the book really not that useful at all.

I'm currently reading this book, MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012.

So far I'm happy with the content. And I'm using this in conjunction with pluralsight.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great set of links and info!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Gago77Gago77 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sybex is horrible in my opinion. I started with the book and did some of their flash cards. I was felling really good bout what I learned until I started doing an online training course MS provides my company. From the first video I realized there was TONS of information missing from the Sybex curriculum. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    I'm having a terrible time studying for this exam.. There seems to be sooo many resources out there which many have used.. I can't seem to get past the first 3 chapters.. My head is spinning lol.. I keep asking myself where the hell do I start and with what material first?!? do videos/labs before reading or reading before labs/videos ughh.. Anyone else having this problem..
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've struggled with that with nearly every test. Initially it seems like a lot to take in, and it is. Take your time, study what you can when you can and eventually it starts looking less crazy. Use your lab time to reinforce what you know and once you have covered everything on a surface level, try to alternate topics. If you like reading about Installing Windows but hate reading about Group Policy, alternate don't try to study one whole section all at once; you'll burn out.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    UKIkarusUKIkarus Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to say thanks for the link, gives me a structured guide to follow and get everything I need covered.
    Best part about it is they have 411 & 412 as well, so fully covered.
  • Options
    JonnyTechJonnyTech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gago77 wrote: »
    Sybex is horrible in my opinion. I started with the book and did some of their flash cards. I was felling really good bout what I learned until I started doing an online training course MS provides my company. From the first video I realized there was TONS of information missing from the Sybex curriculum. Just my two cents.

1. Read chapter 1
    2. Watch Video on material found in Chapter 1
    3. Do Lab on chapter 1 material

4. Read chapter 2
    5. Watch Video on material found in Chapter 2
    6. Do Lab on chapter 2 material

etc.